.35 Whelen & CFE223 - magnum or standard primer?

@Longwalker
I have loaded the 225gn Sierra game king SPBT with their max load of 70gn of CFE223 working up from 66gn and got great results using standard Remington large rifle primers. End result was just under 2,900fps with no pressure signs.
This load was safe in my rifle only. Always start low and work up watching for pressure signs.
Bob
View attachment 586443
Actual chronoed velocity with 70gn of CFE223 and 225gn Sierra GKSPBT
Have you tried CFE with 250's, Bob? I like the 250 Partition in my Whelen... it is the middle rifle in the picture, it was a Ruger M77 Mark II Express in .30/06, but rebored and rechamber to .35 Whelen. The top rifle is a Ruger M77 RSM in .375 H&H and the bottom rifle is an M77 African in .375 Ruger.
20240210_172535.jpg
20240210_184412.jpg

Have you tried CFE with 250's, Bob? I like the 250 Partition in my Whelen... it is the middle rifle in the picture, it was a Ruger M77 Mark II Express in .30/06, but rebored and rechamber to .35 Whelen. The top rifle is a Ruger M77 RSM in .375 H&H and the bottom rifle is an M77 African in .375 Ruger.View attachment 586458View attachment 586459
@hoytcanon
Yes
64.1gn of CFE223 gave me 2,690fps with the 250gn speer and woodliegh and almost the same with the 250gr Hornady spire point.
Bob

I'm sure you have no issues with standard primers. I had read that magnum primers with those powders gave better shot to shot consistency. I haven't compared to see for myself
@jwp475
Apart from the fact magnum primers are unobtainiun in OZ and we don't get the big minus temps y'all get in the US I don't see the need for them.
I usually factory simply my loads and shot to shot velocity has a very small standard deviation.
Bob

@jwp475
Apart from the fact magnum primers are unobtainiun in OZ and we don't get the big minus temps y'all get in the US I don't see the need for them.
I usually factory simply my loads and shot to shot velocity has a very small standard deviation.
Bob
This

If the recipe calls for magnum primers it may as well call for unicorn horn.

A 35 Wheelen with a 225 gr at 2900 fps or a 250 gr at near 2700 fps is factually a magnum in the scale of a 358 Norma or 9.3x64. Slightly above commercial load data/hodgon with varget, which is my comparator.
I like cfe223 a lot in my 8x57 and also 375 ruger and it gives more speed than varget.
but a Whelen is the category of a 9.3x62 or 30.06, this would be too hot for my well being.

A 35 Wheelen with a 225 gr at 2900 fps or a 250 gr at near 2700 fps is factually a magnum in the scale of a 358 Norma or 9.3x64. Slightly above commercial load data/hodgon with varget, which is my comparator.
I like cfe223 a lot in my 8x57 and also 375 ruger and it gives more speed than varget.
but a Whelen is the category of a 9.3x62 or 30.06, this would be too hot for my well being.
@mooze
These loads with the Whelen are found on the speer and Sierra reloading sites.
I initially thought they were over the top but are using them now for over 4 years they have proven safe to me and a lot of others that have used them.
Those companies couldn't afford a law suit if they were dangerous.
Bob

@mooze
These loads with the Whelen are found on the speer and Sierra reloading sites.
I initially thought they were over the top but are using them now for over 4 years they have proven safe to me and a lot of others that have used them.
Those companies couldn't afford a law suit if they were dangerous.
Bob
Before the Speer data, there was no load data for Power Pro Varmint, CFE223 or 2000MR. These powders safely increased the velocity above all other powders

To me its always been about powder volume. 60-70gr in medium sized cases does not need a magnum primer.
When you start loading 80gr you need more to set it off.
My opinion, and I'm not sure what that line really is.

To the grand guiros ball powder always needs magnum primers and that is hooey std rifle primers in many cases works just fine with ball powders and is more accurate, Nothing is a given at the reloading bench or the 100 yard target..I prefer Fed 210 and 215 for no particular reason other than its worked for me for many years, Last year I had to go with whatever I could scrounge up in primers, but they worked.

The 9,3x62 is to the 35 Whelen is about like damn is to cussing! the 62 is walking on the tail of a 375 and it shows on big game also..You have to load it to 55 to 60 PSI and there is no reason but BS to not do that if its a mod 70, rem 700, Ruger Hawkeye or 98 Mauser!!

Have you tried CFE with 250's, Bob? I like the 250 Partition in my Whelen... it is the middle rifle in the picture, it was a Ruger M77 Mark II Express in .30/06, but rebored and rechamber to .35 Whelen. The top rifle is a Ruger M77 RSM in .375 H&H and the bottom rifle is an M77 African in .375 Ruger.View attachment 586458View attachment 586459

Nice looking rifle, shame they are Rugers.:A Stirring: Just stirring. I would not say no to any of those.

The 9,3x62 is to the 35 Whelen is about like damn is to cussing! the 62 is walking on the tail of a 375 and it shows on big game also..You have to load it to 55 to 60 PSI and there is no reason but BS to not do that if its a mod 70, rem 700, Ruger Hawkeye or 98 Mauser!!
As I have said the difference between the 9.3X62 and the 375H&H is the difference between the 35W and the 9.3X62. There is still enough of a difference that I would not want to use the Whelen on large DG. If I did it would be loaded with Hydros or Cup Nose solids.

I have a mate who use nothing but magnum primers on all calibres that use a Large Rifle Primer. Claims it just saves having two lots of primers. Me I use magnum primers in the 375H&H, 358RUM and 416 Rigby. If I was in real cold country like some of you good folks I think I would be using them on anything using 60 grains or more of powder. Why, simply because that is what I have read, so this thread is very educational for me.(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConsueloSu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.