270 WSM or 7 Remington Magnum

It’s hard to go wrong with a 7mm mag, I really enjoy mine. If you like the compact cartridges the 7-08 is a stellar round.
I think the 7 Remington Magnum is tipping the scales in your favor. I will look at a Tikka rifle as they have very good reviews.

Between those two choices, the 7mm Remington Magnum wins hands down. If I were allowed to make a third choice, then - 7x57mm Mauser. Mine’s been taking everything from Gemsbok to Tiger (and everything in between) since 1989. The caliber is yet to let me down.
F490C177-4857-4AB3-85AB-6F389AA461F6.jpeg
DEF36084-7349-4FE7-BA1B-C8F7AFB31814.jpeg
3213A932-6FEF-48F5-9B82-3E0A9C441097.jpeg
04D063EC-1D32-447B-9397-8D52C2F4D007.jpeg

Any of the 7mm cartridges would serve you well, and as far as I know, they generally come with a 9.5" twist, so they'll stabilize 175 gr bullets. And even at the modest velocity of 2400-2500 fps you'd get with a 175 gr bullet out of a 7mm-08 or 7x57, lethal range on small-ish animals like what you're talking about is still around 300 meters.

Most rifles chambered in 270 have a 10" twist. If you hand load, you could probably get away with a 160 gr bullet, but mostly you're limited to 150 gr bullets. Not a terrible choice, but it is quite a bit more limiting than any of the 7mm cartridges.

For the purposes of a European hunting in Europe, my vote would be 7x64 or 7x57, but if you're really interested in the 7mm RM vs 270 anything, 7mm RM hands down.

Lots of guys who aren't terribly familiar with ballistics will extoll the virtues of 270 being "flat shooting." While it is a flat-shooting cartridge, most modern bottle neck cartridges are also flat shooting out to around 300 meters, give or take a little. Sighted in for Maximum Point Blank Range, there generally is no more than 5-10 cm elevation difference between any of them at that distance.

Between those two choices, the 7mm Remington Magnum wins hands down. If I were allowed to make a third choice, then - 7x57mm Mauser. Mine’s been taking everything from Gemsbok to Tiger (and everything in between) since 1989. The caliber is yet to let me down.
View attachment 482886View attachment 482887View attachment 482888View attachment 482890
The 7x57 Mauser is a German cartridge linked to the history of Spain. I like it a lot, but I always think of higher power cartridges. Why? The truth is that I don't even know.

The 7x57 Mauser is a German cartridge linked to the history of Spain. I like it a lot, but I always think of higher power cartridges. Why? The truth is that I don't even know.
Talking with my gunsmith he recommended the 270 WSM but he has not explained why. The 7 Reminton Magnum has been giving satisfaction to its users for decades and that weighs heavily on my possible choice. Although the brass without a belt seems to me a success. A better design.

Power can be a bit over-rated if its consideration is for longer range shooting. If 300 m is the limit of your practice distance, all the extra power to keep a bullet lethal beyond that point doesn't do a lot of good, and won't kill an animal any deader at 200 m than a lower velocity cartridge would.

Power can be a bit over-rated if its consideration is for longer range shooting. If 300 m is the limit of your practice distance, all the extra power to keep a bullet lethal beyond that point doesn't do a lot of good, and won't kill an animal any deader at 200 m than a lower velocity cartridge would.
That is an indisputable reality.

@oscar1975 - 7mmRM without question.

270WSM was the answer to a question no one asked...much like the rest of the WSM family. Why your gunsmith is leading you that direction? He might have a rifle in that caliber for sale and no one else wants to buy it. :ROFLMAO:

Concerning "brassless"...the 7mmRM is called a belted magnum cartridge that was based on the 375H&H cartridge. The purpose of the belt was for headspacing and has nothing to do with the "power" of a cartridge...much to the dismay of Roy Weatherby. Rimless cartridges (like the 270WSM) use the shoulder angle for proper headspacing. The other way of headspacing is having a rimmed or flanged cartridge like a 470NE, 12 bore or 22lr.

Last edited:
7x57 AI with fast twist barrel 1-7 or 7.5”
Does all the things you want brass cheep easy to find

Just so that you know what is being talked about when someone puts the AI (Ackley Improved) after a specific cartridge. The AI cartridges usually reduce the body taper and increases the shoulder angle resulting in a case that will take more powder and increasing velocity when compared to the parent cartridge.

This is usually done by a gunsmith that will ream out the chamber for the "Improved" cartridge. You can still fire the standard cartridge in the chamber and that is how most obtain the proper cartridge to reload for. So when a 7x57 AI is mentioned you can still fire the standard 7x57 cartridge in the rifle and then the resulting case will become the 7x57 AI for future loadings.

As for factory rounds for the AI cartridges, there are some but not as many as people would hope. So it is mostly a Wildcat round that needs to be hand loaded for.

I have two 7mm Remington Magnum rifles and have been shooting this cartridge for over 40 years. Never felt I should have a different rifle or cartridge. I am also having a 280AI built and have owned a 7 X 57. I use the 7mm - a lot from coyotes and Coues deer to elk.

Advantage 7mm RM...

Loaded ammo and brass are universally available

7mm has better range of bullets in various weights = more flexibility

The 7mm mag flat out performs. Besides,

I don't like the fat, short, steep shoulder cartridges - possible feeding problems.

Exactly - At the end of the day any cartridge that gets you 1,500 lbs of energy at your desired distance (300 meters) will work just fine.

Just to put matters into perspective, when I shot the man eating Royal Bengal tiger in 1989 … I was using these- Simple cup & core 175Gr Winchester Super x soft nosed fodder with big blue noses (claiming an advertised velocity of 2440fps).
1715F781-36BA-4194-BD6D-7265749B59B9.jpeg

I gave the tiger only one shot- a broadside shoulder shot. The bullet actually BROKE the tiger’s scapula and managed to open up inside the heart. Tiger was estimated to have succumbed to the gunshot wound three hours afterwards. If a simple cup & core bullet can break a male tiger’s scapula, then imagine what a premium grade modern bullet (like a Nosler Partition) will do.

The old 7x57mm Mauser isn’t high powered. But suffice to say, it’s got enough. You won’t regret it.

Hi, I haven't written in a long time. I keep messing with weapons. I'm saving for a new rifle; Since I have a 338 Winchester Magnum, I have thought about purchasing a rifle with a smaller diameter cartridge and I want to choose between a 270 WSM or a 7 mm Remington Magnum. I plan to use it to stalk animals such as roe deer, goats and the like. I like the 270 WSM being brassless and can be fired in shorter rifles and the 7RM I like its history, and its ability to handle heavier shells if needed. Which one would you choose?
Not a big difference between the two performance wise. One thing I could say is it’s more likely the 270wsm could become a reloading cartridge as it may be less likely to survive. Only you can decide.

I have almost made up my mind that the cartridge of choice is the classic 7mm Remington Magnum.
A last fly in the ointment. If you really wanted something non-belted, as others have mentioned, a 280 AI is difficult to beat. I'm in the middle of load development for mine, and there is no practical difference in velocity between my 280 AI and 7mm RM firing 156, 160, and 175 gr bullets.

I think the OP @oscar1975 has said he's warming to the 7mmRm settled on it.

@Nevada Mike has put forward a strong argument for it

A Tikka is a good affordable accurate option.

All good reading though

Hi, I haven't written in a long time. I keep messing with weapons. I'm saving for a new rifle; Since I have a 338 Winchester Magnum, I have thought about purchasing a rifle with a smaller diameter cartridge and I want to choose between a 270 WSM or a 7 mm Remington Magnum. I plan to use it to stalk animals such as roe deer, goats and the like. I like the 270 WSM being brassless and can be fired in shorter rifles and the 7RM I like its history, and its ability to handle heavier shells if needed. Which one would you choose?
I really like the 270WSM. That would be my choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoniaMedla

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.