.223 for Steinbok, Duiker, Klipspringer?

375 H&H with rn solids....

As for a dedicated tiny 10 rifle a BD14 in 22H/20ga/6.5×57R or7x57R would be my dream gun.....

So you’ve shot 1 Tiny Ten Animal. You didn’t answer the rest of the questions; What was it with, Number of Safaris, Locations/Outfitters, etc?

The best gun to hunt them is whatever you have in your hand when you see them. Small animal/small caliber makes sense, Small animal/big caliber defies logic but it works. I know a 22 in the right place will work great, we’ve all heard the saying a .22LR has killed more deer than anything else, but that doesn’t equate to the best gun. Ask you PH how many he’s lost with a small 22 type gun. Now ask him how many he’s lost and not found with the 375.

The best gun for me is small hole in, small hole out, dead right there. A 375 checks all those boxes, and of the 3 options I’ve used, it’s my favorite. Knowing someone who’s a good shot, does several safaris every year to Africa to a multitude of African countries that had a bad experience with a 22WMR on a Dik-Dik gives me pause. Having shot a lot of stuff with a .223 and .308 I know the type of exits I get on deer/coyotes/bobcats. I know the exits I got on T10 with the 308, so I suspect similar results on a .223 which are more explosive than NA Game. I’m expecting a bigger exit on T10 than NA game with a .223 because it’s traveling faster than the .308. A 308 on T10 produced a much larger and explosive exit on T10 than on NA game you’ve mentioned. I really think the issue is velocity and a T10 animals lack of muscle + thin skin that causes a lot of extra damage.
Again. What does that have to do with anything? My PH has more experience than you. So that means he’s right and you’re wrong? Worst cop out answer ever.

I’ve shot as many 30-50lb think skinned animals as you. Just because I’ve been to Africa once doesn’t mean I have nothing to give to the conversation. That’s so silly.

Further convo with my ph friend. Just what I figured it was. These guys aren’t saying 375 is the perfect gun for tiny 10. You took it wrong. That’s ok my man.

IMG_4389.jpeg

375 H&H with rn solids....

As for a dedicated tiny 10 rifle a BD14 in 22H/20ga/6.5×57R or7x57R would be my dream gun.....
Man a drilling does seem to be a nice rifle for walking through the bush with multiple animals on the list.

If you are actually going to go through all the trouble to bring in a dedicated rifle for these small animals, why not bring something that is pefect for the job?
.223 is used simply because it is common, not because it is ideal. Its way too fast.

In a suitable accurate bolt action rifle:
6x45, 6.5 Grendel , 350 Legend, 300 Blackout, 7.62x39 heck even 25-20 is a better choice, or a .243 downloaded to 2400 with a filler.

Why? Too heavy? Ones I have seen have always been heavy
Heavy, awkward and they don't do anything well... they are half-azzed for everything... I have had a few, they keep sounding like a good idea, but come up woefully short in the actual application.

300 Blackout would be perfect for a dedicated T10 rifle IMO. You could even bring a suppressor along to keep it really quiet, if that makes any difference to you. Those Barnes 110gr TAC factory loads do around 2350 fps and are deadly on whitetail deer. I’ve taken several 200 plus pound bucks with mine, and it’s amazing how effective it is inside of 100 yds. They kill quickly, yet don’t do nearly as much damage as a faster caliber. They would also handle larger (than T10) PG in a pinch.

That’s just not true. What if it’s a different bullet?

Also larger bullets are often not applied to same spot at same rate as smaller ones. That’s why 1-2moa is acceptable on large caliber and not for smaller.
So you're saying that you've u can always hit within less than an inch of what you want to hit under hunting conditions? That is what is just not true. Of course bullet construction and weight are always important, but a deer shot in the shoulder with any .308 caliber bullet from say a .30-06 is going to expire much faster than one shot in the same place with a .223 using any bullet. Even if the deer does a actually die before too long, he will not be leaving much of a blood trail. Those who say that shot placement is the only thing that counts, and that bullet diameter and weight are irrelevant will forever strike me as hopelessly naive.

Let's use my last cape buffalo as an example. Using a .458 WM my 500 grain bullet smashed the shoulder, through the top of the heart, and exited behind the opposite shoulder. The bull ran about 20 yards and piled up dead. You want to try that with a .223 using any bullet? Didn't think so.

Blue duiker and suni are smaller but i dont think anyone has the on quota. Pretty rare so probably grysbok is the smallest huntable species. Low velocity solid is best as you say. I think maybe one of the old english rook guns would be great. A lead cast bullet from a revolver calibre would be good too- ma ybe a lever gun in 357 mag or 30-30.
I didn't know blue duiker or suni actually lived in Zim. Learn something new every day.

So you're saying that you've u can always hit within less than an inch of what you want to hit under hunting conditions? That is what is just not true. Of course bullet construction and weight are always important, but a deer shot in the shoulder with any .308 caliber bullet from say a .30-06 is going to expire much faster than one shot in the same place with a .223 using any bullet. Even if the deer does a actually die before too long, he will not be leaving much of a blood trail. Those who say that shot placement is the only thing that counts, and that bullet diameter and weight are irrelevant will forever strike me as hopelessly naive.

Let's use my last cape buffalo as an example. Using a .458 WM my 500 grain bullet smashed the shoulder, through the top of the heart, and exited behind the opposite shoulder. The bull ran about 20 yards and piled up dead. You want to try that with a .223 using any bullet? Didn't think so.
I think calling 375 the perfect gun for tiny ten is very similar.

Heavy, awkward and they don't do anything well... they are half-azzed for everything... I have had a few, they keep sounding like a good idea, but come up woefully short in the actual application.
Blaser BD14 is not heavy and nothing half arsed about it....

I think calling 375 the perfect gun for tiny ten is very similar.
I’m really not sure your strong objection to the 375 as a one gun safari, but I think you are missing the point of why a 375 gets carried. Many areas you’ll have the opportunity to run into anything from one of the tiny 10 to kudu to dangerous game. The 375 works well on all of them when opportunity arises.

Again. What does that have to do with anything? My PH has more experience than you. So that means he’s right and you’re wrong? Worst cop out answer ever.

I’ve shot as many 30-50lb think skinned animals as you. Just because I’ve been to Africa once doesn’t mean I have nothing to give to the conversation. That’s so silly.

Further convo with my ph friend. Just what I figured it was. These guys aren’t saying 375 is the perfect gun for tiny 10. You took it wrong. That’s ok my man.

View attachment 604858
You PH might have more experience than me but there are several people who’ve commented on this thread that rival/beat his experience and they’re recommending a 375. I can almost guarantee your PH doesn’t have the experience of some of the PH’s I’ve talked to about this and hunted with unless he’s in his 70’s or 80’s or specializes in chasing the Tiny 10. The fact that he’s only heard of 375 w/ solids and not done it says something.

My question of how many Tiny 10 you’ve shot, how many hunts, with who, and where was to establish your experience of shooting 7-20lb extremely thin skinned, rabbit/raccoon sized animals you’ve shot/hunted in Africa. I know what all different types of .223 and .308 bullets do to a raccoon, coyote or bobcat. I know what a .308 bullet does to a Grysbok that’s actually bigger than the avg size raccoon in Alabama. I’m telling you it’s not going to be pretty, the Tiny’s have a different type of skin, with a different bone density.

You use your .223 chasing the Tiny’s and I’ll use my 375. Let me know when you complete yours and we’ll compare notes and photos for each of the species.

I’m really not sure your strong objection to the 375 as a one gun safari, but I think you are missing the point of why a 375 gets carried. Many areas you’ll have the opportunity to run into anything from one of the tiny 10 to kudu to dangerous game. The 375 works well on all of them when opportunity arises.
See. I agree with that. Have said it a million times.

The guy that started this thread asked if using a 223 for tiny 10 and he was ok was told not to use it. To use a 375.

See. I agree with that. Have said it a million times.

The guy that started this thread asked if using a 223 for tiny 10 and he was ok was told not to use it. To use a 375.
If the guy that started this thread hadn’t put Klipspringer in the title I don’t think it’d have gotten as much pushback. Klipspringer are a lot smaller than Steenbok and Duiker and their skin is significantly more delicate and sensitive. I wish I’d used a 375 on my Klipspringer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanvanwoerkens

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani