.22 rifle

All right I am looking at getting another .22 for plinking, practice, and small game hunting, I currently have a model 39m by marlin, and a mossberg model 42a I believe, it is with a mossberg scope, I have been eyeballing a tikka t3 in .22lr, I am wondering if anybody on here has one and do you like it? Is there another model I should look at instead? I would have to order it as no one anywhere near me carrries them, any good sources?
What's your budget? Knowing that will help with the recommendations.

I would look for an original Winchester t-bolt. They were a very special rifle and way ahead of their time.

I’m a big believer in savage rimfire. Have a 22lr and 22mag which we used for practice before Africa as well. Most accurate 22s I’ve owned and the acutrigger is great for factory trigger. I am intrigued by the Tikka as my main rifle is a t3 superlite

Is there another model I should look at instead?
Tikka T1 X
Anschutz 1761, 1422 etc
CZ 457 (or 455, 452, brno 2)

Tak a good look at each of these factories. By quality, I woud rate them, Anschutz, tikka, CZ

Best bang for my buck? Ruger 77/22 with a new Shilen drop in barrel--I get consistent one hole groups at 50 yards with Lapua Gold. I think the barrel was about $300, but I may be wrong,
Otherwise, for factory, I agree with Mark-hunter's choices, though not necessarily in that order, as guns can be individual in performance.
Biggest note: don't change ammo willy nilly--the signature wax on premium ammo is very important, but cannot be realized until the barrel is seasoned with it. If you are changing all the time trying to find the best one you probably are not getting an accurate read on what that gun/combo can do. My uncle is still disappointed in his Anshutz but has done what I just described so...

Brno rimfire rifles (CZ) were once the trade mark of the company. Now, as they degraded heavily on centerfire rifle line (new CZ 600), rimfire rifle is the last stand of their rifle quality. They are now oriented mostly to pistol production.

Ravens view,

All great recommendations, one manufacturer I have not seen mentioned would be Voo-Doo Gunworks, more of a high end solution but very high quality and super accurate. They can even set the whole system (several stock options and barrel contours) including optic for you and a custom pelican type case as well. Just another option. also available in left hand, if needed.

JP

Speaking of which,Anschutz offers left hand 22 lr rifles as well.

a model 1 or model 2 Brno is what l would recommend
no plastic mini Mauser that will last a couple of lifetimes

DL8Afzu.jpg
mA3GNIl.jpg
VeXhXTV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Kimber Super America in 22LR. I regret selling it. It is CRF, has inlet swivel studs, cut for a scope, beautiful bluing. There is one on GB right now and I may have to get it.

Nowadays, I use the .22LR setup in an R8 for Safari training (along with .223 and .308) too an extent. At the end of the day, you got to practice with the 375/416 off sticks but the smaller calibers help and are a lot less expensive to train.

I picked up a steel Bergara BMR and going to wring it out this weekend. Reviews have been good on them and hope mine follows suit.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and responses, looks like a tikka may be in the future, unless a great deal comes along on something else.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and responses, looks like a tikka may be in the future, unless a great deal comes along on something else.
Ravensview,

Always a great day when one, after much research and deliberation, finally comes to a decision. Now the fun begins, enjoy it.

JP

I had a Kimber Super America in 22LR. I regret selling it. It is CRF, has inlet swivel studs, cut for a scope, beautiful bluing. There is one on GB right now and I may have to get it.

Nowadays, I use the .22LR setup in an R8 for Safari training (along with .223 and .308) too an extent. At the end of the day, you got to practice with the 375/416 off sticks but the smaller calibers help and are a lot less expensive to train.
I didn't know .22's could be control round feed...

Some of these guys are getting into ultra long range .22’s. I was watching a clip of a guy ringing steel at 400. Takes a while for the bullet to get there!

I know it's a chassis rifle, but you indicated that you were looking for another 'plinker'...and as such I would say another option for you is the Ruger Precision Rimfire. I picked one up on a whim from my gun guy and it's an ABSOLUTE TACK DRIVER! The adjustability is another bonus. It also has an excellent trigger right out of the box. If you want a traditional looking bolt, this isn't the prettiest girl at the dance...but she's got the best legs! They MSRP for $599 but I was able to get mine out the door for $529. We routinely drill old tooling steel out to the farm with it out to 300. You can have the bolt run and the next round in the chamber before the first round gets there. IT'S A HOOT!
8401.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hattie05G

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.