2022 SA Handgun permit for hunting

rjacobherman

AH member
Reaction score
Has anyone been lately with a handgun for hunting? Adele just told me they aren't issuing handgun permits. I really want to take the new S&W 10mm and try it out on a few things.

I know they were issuing permits for pistols with optics.

Thanks in advance

In 2019 I brought a freedom arms 45lc with a red dot. Painless at the time. Have the regs changed?

If your S&W 10mm is an auto then your probably out of luck. Has been the case for many years that semi auto handguns were unlikely to be approved. The only exception appears to have been gun writers etc on an 'occupational' exemption.

Apart from that, from what I've heard, all sorts of firearm permits etc are currently encountering massive processing delays.

If your S&W 10mm is an auto then your probably out of luck. Has been the case for many years that semi auto handguns were unlikely to be approved. The only exception appears to have been gun writers etc on an 'occupational' exemption.

Apart from that, from what I've heard, all sorts of firearm permits etc are currently encountering massive processing delays.
I guess I'll have to write an article if that's what they are gonna make me do

Ask Henry Rifle Permits they will know.
I had no problem in getting my 44 mag revolver into SA in 2021.

Ask Henry Rifle Permits they will know.
I had no problem in getting my 44 mag revolver into SA in 2021.
Agreed! I would not attempt traveling with a handgun without host country professionals paving the way.

I inquired about handgun hunting in South Africa and was informed of this.
Temporary importation for handguns are for sporting, not defensive handguns.
A standard Glock or 1911 may not be allowed. Put a optic on it and it may get in.
A single shot Encore or XP-100 should not encounter problems.

Prior to taking my handgun to Africa (Zimbabwa and SA). I ask for information and help here on AH and received a response that lead me to South Africa's handgun regulations. I read the complicated regulations and requirements South Africa has for the various handgun calibers and velocities legal to use for hunting the various animal sizes/types, contacted the respective country outfitters for clarity, then went straight to Henry Rifle Permits for thier help.

One other response to my post said they had zip tied a scope to thier handgun to get it through SAPS then the poster simply cut the zip ties and removed the scope when they arrived at thier outfitters.

Since I had neglected to do the fore mentioned, on my return to Jo'berg from Zimbabwa, having already been through SAPS, received my (by SAPS) pre approved permits for my firearms to re enter SA to continue trip to my SA outfitter, The SAPS officers on my return through Jo'berg asked me "Where is the scope?" (referencing to my handgun). I simply said, "It was for back up in Zimbabwa on my cape buffalo hunt". Henry and his wife were present to help me through by showing that my permits had been previously approved by SAPS the first time I came through. The SAPS officer handed me my revolver back so I could place it in my gun case. No real problem.

SAPS at PE just wanted to verify the serial numbers on my revolver and rifle.

The 4-9/16th inch revolver barrel length wasn't even measured or questioned. The "....big bullets..." were enough to suggest the handgun was legal for hunting all plains game. When I reflect back on our conversation, I still find humor in the SAPS officer's comment, as this may have been his first time seeing/handling a large handgun bullet.

Has anyone been lately with a handgun for hunting? Adele just told me they aren't issuing handgun permits. I really want to take the new S&W 10mm and try it out on a few things.

I know they were issuing permits for pistols with optics.

Thanks in advance
Semi auto requires a special permit that is not always approved. Other handguns have not been a problem. It would be good to know what has changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VNCFlorida

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you