1 MOA accuracy less common than you think ?

I used to be obsessed by sub-MOA and if a bolt or single shot rifle could not perform as such, it was sent down the road. When I suffered from that obsession, I was fully capable of such performance, shot A LOT, and was OCD at the reloading bench. Our "He Man Woman Hater's Club" had all gone through a "practice wife" and decided a passionate relationship with firearms was safer. My garage had been converted into a gunsmithing/reloading/alcohol paradise. We had multiple reloading presses from Dillon, RCBS, Redding, Forster, Ponsness Warren, a ton of accessories and gadgets, all the tools to build and customize firearms, and a bar stocked with the finest spirits that were on sale at the PX. It was a paradise!

Now days, I am not always capable of sub-MOA even though some of my kit is. Multiple surgeries and my morning liter of coffee habit are not always conducive to 5 round+ MOA. Also, time and experience has proven to me that sub-2MOA is more than good enough for all of my hunting situations. 3 shot sub-MOA is easy enough but 5 shot plus requires a level of dedication and concentration that I do not possess most days. :LOL:

However, pursuit of sub-MOA accuracy is an interesting, (at times frustrating) and fun endeavor!

Safe shooting
Ah yes, sucked in to the vortex of precision shooting. I'm there now with my hand held out seeking help and all I get are 10% off coupons thrown at me. Forgot, free shipping offers too.

Consistent Precision + Accuracy is difficult. While many people focus on the RIFLE, there are a bunch of other factors at play. Shooting ability, optics, environmental factors, ammunition variables. I am sure that some people can manage an accurate sub MOA group occasionally, but every time / on demand? Not so easy.

Last edited:
Silly question... When you guys are shooting a consistent MOA, are you shooting prone supported, prone unsupported, seated at a bench, off a sled, bipod, shooting sticks?

There are few that will walk up cold to an outdoor range with their tack drivers and put the first 5 rounds IN the 1 MOA bull at 100 as shown. I know most everyone on the Internet can but in real life, no, which was portrayed accurately on the video. If we wanted to reach deeper, most of the scopes we use today probably won’t survive the ride from the house to the range without enough shift to put you outside the ring. Ouch.
Silly question... When you guys are shooting a consistent MOA, are you shooting prone supported, prone unsupported, seated at a bench, off a sled, bipod, shooting sticks?
Only way I will claim I can shoot consistent moa is prone off of bipods with a rear bag.
Or a bench with a front rest and rear bag.
Even then it is difficult to shoot 5 or more shots in a group moa. Need good conditions also.
It’s me. If I shoot 3-4 shots touching. I stand a good chance of choking one out a inch.
I can do moa for 5 shots. Have done so many times. But I am fully aware of my choke factor.
I have been shooting competition with rifles and pistols since 1987 in one form or another. Shot on army teams etc. and I will still tell you I will and can blow a good target.
But if conditions are right and I don’t choke.
I have many rifles that will shoot clover leafs at 100 yards. And I am confident enough I would put money on it.

Nope not a silly question!
Shooting prone supported holding the forend with the backpack in front of my hand! jacket tucked up under the butt. Never forend hand resting off of the backpack...ie sandwiched between the rifle and the back pack.
No cross arm free recoil style.
Off sticks Im only good with a 3 shot group sub moa @100y.
Standing lol 25 yards is only 1.7 3shot group isnt bad imo.....most of the time
IMG_8174.jpeg

I consider prone supported or bench supported off a bag a reasonable standard for shooter and rifle. Locking the rifle in a sled I feel has little to do with shooting but does clarify a rifle's accuracy. I see some shooters at the range go from 1 to 5 MOA the moment the rifle leaves the sled.

All of my best groups have come off of a bench with the forearm supported. In my younger days I could also shoot great groups from the sitting position but I have never been able to shoot from prone unless it was a downhill shot. My neck just isn't designed to bend that way.

If a person is using a sled then I just consider that the group that is shot what the rifle can do and not the shooter.

I consider prone supported or bench supported off a bag a reasonable standard for shooter and rifle. Locking the rifle in a sled I feel has little to do with shooting but does clarify a rifle's accuracy. I see some shooters at the range go from 1 to 5 MOA the moment the rifle leaves the sled.
From the bench with a bunch of sandbags and post second breakfast is when I do best shooting. If that is not working, I just move the target closer. :LOL: :LOL:

In your case, I prefer to keep you up all night drinking to enhance my shooting ability while handicapping yours. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Safe shooting

Yep rifle man skills are a pressable commodity and not something that stays with you.....more practice is needed.

From the bench with a bunch of sandbags and post second breakfast is when I do best shooting. If that is not working, I just move the target closer. :LOL: :LOL:

In your case, I prefer to keep you up all night drinking to enhance my shooting ability while handicapping yours. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Safe shooting
Where is the double like button :ROFLMAO: :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Safe shooting
I have found that more than 24 hours with you and a Minute of Gin (MOG) is the most realistic outcome.

Here in the UK we’ve had fun with what is known as the

Black dot of doom

You rock up somewhere on your shooting land

Walk out 100m and place a sheet of paper with a 1” black dot on it

You get one shot to try and hit the dot

No warm ups

No sighting in

Just a cold bore shot off your sticks or bonnet of the car

Take a picture and post it on the forum

Very humbling

I'm not going to go on a bash session. But I quit watching this guy's channel a long time ago after seeing a video of him running down the 30.06 and the ridiculous things he was saying about 06s.

As posted previously the majority here are outliers. I've been to our gun club the week before deer seasons and you'd be lucky to get a cold range and a bench. Paper plates are the targets du jour.
Here was our process growing up.

Drive out to a field where old appliances were thrown on the edge of a slough.

Paint a dot on one with a paint pen.

Drive a ways away and shoot off the hood.

If you were close to the dot, call it good.

I think it is obvious.
If I want to shoot like that, it is either seated from the bench or prone, rifle supported by front and rear bag, or bipod and rear bag. (it is not real world accuracy, field accuracy or practical hunting accuracy). It is also not an actual training.

But this gives confidence in shooter and allows best possible scope zeroing, and ammuntion testing.

Now, when this we have established, I will ask what is the point of this question? Because the answers are already known in advance.

I think it is obvious.
If I want to shoot like that, it is either seated from the bench or prone, rifle supported by front and rear bag, or bipod and rear bag. (it is not real world accuracy, field accuracy or practical hunting accuracy). It is also not an actual training.

But this gives confidence in shooter and allows best possible scope zeroing, and ammuntion testing.

Now, when this we have established, I will ask what is the point of this question? Because the answers are already known in advance.
Interesting response. The initial post tossed out how common is 1 MOA accuracy. When I shoot my long guns to zero or during load testing I generally shoot prone supported or off a bench. I consider the results of this to reflect how I shoot. I often see shooters at local ranged shooting off sleds and they feel that is a reflection of how they shoot. I too doubt the number of consistent 1 MOA rifleman who can walk up, lay the their rifle on a bag, and crack off 3-5 rounds within an inch at a 100 yards. While maybe obvious to you, it was not to me on what position or rest everyoe uses when shooting to qualify as a MOA shooter / weapon.

I once had a person watching me when I was verifying my loads out of my 25-06. The target was set at 250 yards which is my zero for this rifle. After I had shot a 5 shot string I retrieved the target. He didn't think too much of it since only a couple of shots had hit the 1" black dot in the center with the rest just outside of it. He told me that I had lied to him when I said that it would shoot MOA at 100 yards.

That is until I told him that MOA at 250 yards was actually 2.5 inches and not 1 inch. All the shots were within 2 inches, this was off of a bench.

But as most have said, hunting rifles are usually sighted in at MOA or "minute of animal". A couple of my rifles are sighted this way. I know that I don't want to go through all the time to get them to shoot better, they work just fine on deer and elk.

I believe most modern factory rifles with the right ammo are capable of close to or minute of angle groups at 100 yards, it’s the humans shooting them who are not. I’m guilty of shooting 3 shot groups myself but I agree a 5 shot group is a better assessment of one’s shooting ability and overall accuracy assessment of the rifle.

MOA (or any other measure of dispersion) is a measure of precision, not of accuracy. Precision is how close the shots are to each other, not how close they are to the intended point of impact.

A 1 MOA rifle shoots a 1MOA group. Whether that group is anywhere near the intended target is a separate matter. Accuracy reflects how close the center of that group is to the intended point of impact.

Hitting a target on demand requires a rifle that is both sufficiently accurate and sufficiently precise.

I have put several rounds down range in my day and one of the toughest challenges I have had was at a once a month "sniper" competition at the local backwoods rifle range I shoot at. Range was 100, 200, 265, 330 and 400 yards. 2 moa and 1 MOA plates at each range. You drew numbers to see which order you would shoot those ranges. Long story short the 100 yard was the one that always got you. It was a 6" plate with a 1" hole in the center. You had to put 5 shots through the hole without touching any steel. :ROFLMAO: it would humble you quickly. 4" plate at 400 yards, sure, not a big deal. 5 shots clean through that 1" hole at 100 yards would make you pull your hair out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saracruz8952

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!