Your "second" once in a lifetime trip to Africa

Plan for my second trip is different from my first. I want to experience wild Africa. However, I still haven’t narrowed the details much. Current options: Namibia for Leopard, Zim for Ele, or Moz for Buffalo or Leopard.

Time and budget will tell.
Good luck! hoping for your zim trip

My first was a leopard in Namibia.

My second was actually the most magical safari of all- lion in the Save.

Third was for ele in the Save, the whole safari I used a double.

Fourth was buff & PG with a bow, again in the Save. On par with the lion hunt.

I never was interested in buffalo, my first was for lion bait- thought to myself killed two birds with one stone- lion bait and a buff, got that one out of the way. Same with the double even though we got close as well. Hell, after my ele, it was almost as if I pretty much shot the buff more for my PH than anything else.

I will say this, after making several stalks with a bow to within 15-20 y of buff, crawling to within 20-30 y of 8-12 dugga boys where you can hear them eating (and looking at your PHs .458 with only 3 down in the mag was life changing.

Never going back to Africa with a rifle again.......or for that matter NA.

All I want to do, 'til I can't walk no more is hunt buff with a bow.

Last edited:
My first two trips were with different PH’s in different countries. One retired and the other passed. I would have definitely hunted with either again.
Our trip in 2023 is with a South African outfitter who operated in different countries. I feel comfortable enough to have already booked for 2024. I also like seeing and hunting different areas, but if I find a PH I mesh with well, I’d rather stay with them.

So as it turns out the people you spoke too before your first trip were right ; you can't go and hunt Africa only one time. Was your second trip to get the trophies you did not get the first time or did you have a new list of things you wanted to hunt? Combination of the two? Did you go someplace new or return to the same area and outfitter you hunted with the first time?
I went three times, same place - and collected all trophies interesting to me, in that area.
Now, I am in the phase of looking for new pastures.

I have been twice. I don't know what I seek; I know I want to keep looking. I found I lived more in the moment on my second trip. I was more relaxed, allowing me to absorb the experience more. I went back to the same PH as I trust him implicitly to honestly provide the best trip within the financial parameters I set.

I want to go again to continue this ill-defined quest. I want to track buffalo. And I plan to experience other countries in doing so. Who knows what I will find through the next thicket? But that's the quest.

I’ve been 4 times with the same outfitter and PH in various parts of Namibia. I paid a deposit yesterday and am now booked for 2023 with a new outfitter in a new country for an animal I’ve never hunted. I’m very excited for what this new adventure will bring.

We loved our outfitter for our first trip. And highly recommend them. They got me on to the kudu of a lifetime and for that I am truly grateful.

If we go back though, we will likely try and see/hunt another part of the continent. Prob Zim/Nam. When I think about what I might like to hunt, a gemsbok is on the list, maybe a nyala. And while I'm dreaming, a leopard and a buff.

My first was Namibia last year. My focus is the Big 5 with applicable plains game as well of course.

I look at it less as "once in a lifetime" as, IF this was the last/only one, did you do everything within reasonable means (usually financial and time) to make it the best possible?

I sent the deposit today for my fifth "once in a lifetime" trip to Africa. I dunno, must be some kind of disease. Each trip is unique, each time it's going to be the only one, but then there is the next one....
;-)

There's also Uganda for Nile Buffalo with Uganda Wildlife Safaris! Their Karamoja region is stunning.
I'm anxiously waiting to hunt there next March!! From the videos I've seen there is no shortage of buffalo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James B Radebaugh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.