Winchester model 70 Classic Super Express

KTK458

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Botswana
I have a chance to buy this rifle.
I had one just like it when I was younger, but times got hard, and I sold it. Regret that decision every day.
Do I need this rifle? No. Will I likely ever face another elephant? No. But man do I want it.
Any thoughts on value? It is absolutely pristine, and has never been fired.
The scope is a Leupold 1.5-5.
I see other similar threads exist, but I'm not sure of the value with the scope.
Any input appreciated. Thanks.

y2Bggal.jpg
dMxW659.jpg
7miLwnr.jpg
9aEKgxf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks solid, its a new haven, but I'd like to see the chamber(PTSD). The scope is a bit dated IMO, but I'm sure it is perfectly okay. If you plan on using this on DG, which I assume you do, I'd look into upgrading to something with an illuminated reticle like a Trijicon, Zeiss or Swaro. As for gun value a brand new Safari Express is around $1500, although you may find some cheaper. There is a Super Express(375 H&H) on gun broker right now for $1450. The last 458 win Super Express to sell on gun broker sold for $1600. There is also a mint Super Express 458 win at Cabelas Thorton, CO for $1400. With an FFL transfer fee, shipping and tax you'd be over 1500.

Personally I think the Super Express is nicer than the newer Safari Express
Listed below is a link to the Trijicon 1-4(Illuminated)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 8.08.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 8.08.55 AM.png
    815.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 8.08.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 8.08.57 AM.png
    872 KB · Views: 90
If you like it buy it. I have one just like it in 416RM and I love it. To me the scope with the bases and rings add about $500 above the value of the rifle. Nice package!

I’m not as bullish on the scope and rings. Nothing wrong with them, they just don’t command much used. I’d say $1,700 would be a decent price for the package.

I think Joker12 is right, the scope, rings and mounts add about $500 to the value of the rifle alone.

Leopold quit making that scope, but I have 2 and would gladly purchase another. It's a great scope for a DG rifle in .375 or larger.

You right handed folks got it easy. Buy it at that price!
Ha! You're in good company. I'm a lefty, too. I've just gotten used to using right handed rifles.

Reactions: RLL
I have that scope with Talley QR rings on my 500 Jeffery. 450 plus full power rounds, scope has held up with zero issues. I like the 1.5 lower power, can jump shoot elk in the black timber. 5x is good out to 400 yards for me even today.

Ha! You're in good company. I'm a lefty, too. I've just gotten used to using right handed rifles.
I grew up shooting my dads right handed 22-250 Remington 788, as well as others. I’m all too familiar and comfortable as well. After I bought my first left handed bolt gun and became in tune with its efficiencies, I’ve never looked back. I couldn’t imagine using using the wrong handle on a DG hunt now.

I think Joker12 is right, the scope, rings and mounts add about $500 to the value of the rifle alone.

Leopold quit making that scope, but I have 2 and would gladly purchase another. It's a great scope for a DG rifle in .375 or larger.

Would you purchase an older Vari-X3 1.5-5 over the latest iteration, the VX3HD, in the same magnification?

I ask because I come across them locally with some regularity. They always seem to be priced within $100 or so of new so figured if I were to buy that configuration, I'd pay the little extra for new. Perhaps I need to readjust my thinking?

Unless something is weird, not a thing wrong with that rifle/scope combination... the late New Haven Win 70s are my favorites of the M70s. I think this model was made '93-'98. Doubtful the throat is worn out- few are in those larger calibers :) If the rifle is as it appears, a price in the 1600-1800 range seems about right and fair. I've seen many, many, IMO inferior rifles, change hands in the last few years for twice that $ or more. Had a couple of those scopes on big recoilers and never an issue.

What's neat about the 458 WM now are the powder choices that can get the most potential out of the cartridge plus the basic versatility of the straight wall case. Load it up to loosen your fillings or down to powder puff 45-70 Trapdoor equivalent. Modern 450 gr mono bullets do well in the 458 WM.

Last edited:
What is the ask for the package?

It’s a nice rifle but that seems a little high to me.

Yes, that is a tad high but not by much if it is in near unfired condition. As others have posted, the scope is the odd player in the package value. The rifle needs to be priced alone by seller then the scope and mounts added- a gymnastics of pricing in the real world market. That scope on the used market is like any scope on the used market.... somewhat depreciated. Not so now with good rifles. Nonetheless, that is a nice rifle and worth some haggling, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
franzfmdavis

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you