Whitworth 375 H&H - Observations

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Was taking a closer look at this Whitworth Express 375 H&H that I inherited from my Dad a couple years ago. Based upon the date code on the right rear side of the receiver (0785), it appears to have been made in July of 1985. Also, I found it interesting that the forward recoil lug is attached to the barrel with screws (first time I've seen that done). The gun is glass-bedded (including both recoil lugs and rear tang), and barrel is free-floated; so I'm looking forward to getting this back out to the range for the first time in a long time.
Whitworth1.jpg

Whitworth2.jpg

Whitworth3.jpg

Whitworth4.jpg

Whitworth5.jpg

Whitworth6.jpg

I read in Frank De Hass "Bolt Action Rifles" that the "Whitworth" rifles were Zastava rifles re-branded by Interarms for the US market. A solid and well proven rifle. Look forward to hearing how well it handles at the range (and of course in the many subsequent hunting trips )

PS - I'm not sure why my Dad didn't complete the sanding down of the recoil pad, but I'll get that done soon. ;-)

I read in Frank De Hass "Bolt Action Rifles" that the "Whitworth" rifles were Zastava rifles re-branded by Interarms for the US market. A solid and well proven rifle. Look forward to hearing how well it handles at the range (and of course in the many subsequent hunting trips )
Yep; you can see the "Made in Yugoslavia" on the left rear tang. I also have a Remington 798 and a surplus Yugo M48B that were made by Zastava, and all three are very good quality.

I have one with a synthetic stock, I really like it especially for the price. I might put mine up for sale soon to help pay for another safari but I'm having a hard time parting with it lol. They're great guns!!

My older brother and I used to look at dad's Gun Digest, must have been mid '80s, dreaming of having a Whitworth 375.
Now that I'm older and have more exotic (I guess) rifles, the old Whitworth still calls to me.
I've always thought that they were a lot of rifle for the money and I've not heard anything of note against them.
A good quality Mauser, set up for scoped or open sights, in either .375H&H or 458WM, what's not to like in the under $2K category?

I bought one back in the late 1980’s for $350.00 At a local gun show. It had a Lyman peep sight added. That was about typical used rifle price at the time and place. I ended up putting a Bell and Carson stock on it. I scoped it with a 2x7 Leupold . I fell in love with it and it became my go to rifle for whitetails, mule deer, and blackbear. I ended up hunting with it pretty exclusively.

A brother bought a Winchester 70 Classic stainless in .375 H&H. Recoil was too stiff for him so I traded a .44 mag revolver for it.

I decided to thin my herd at some point. I prefer the Winchester personally, not that I had any complaints with the Whitworth. My youngest brother bought the Whitworth. He hunts whitetails with it.

I watched a Whitworth with a broken stock sell on GB sell a while back. It did not have the barrel mounted recoil lug. I still have the wood stock from mine. I watched the one on GB sell since I already had a stock. It sold for $957.00. I have two Winchester 70’s in .375 now, I let that Whitworth sell without bidding.

I hope you enjoy your dad’s @cash_tx !!

My wife has a 375 Whitworth and it shoot very well. In the years I have been shooting had a number of interarms rifles and they were all shooters. You will be well served by your 375.

Great looking rifle!

My older brother and I used to look at dad's Gun Digest, must have been mid '80s, dreaming of having a Whitworth 375.
Now that I'm older and have more exotic (I guess) rifles, the old Whitworth still calls to me.
I've always thought that they were a lot of rifle for the money and I've not heard anything of note against them.
A good quality Mauser, set up for scoped or open sights, in either .375H&H or 458WM, what's not to like in the under $2K category?
LOL; I think I did more lusting over Gun Digest and Shotgun News when I was a teenager back in the 1980's than I ever did over any gentleman's magazine. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AileenVanc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!