Which Shotgun for buckshot ?

Seems odd why Mossberg didn’t go 3.5” and red dot compatible
3.5" has become less relevant with the development of " hevi shot" ammo. You can use smaller shot and get better penetration and pattern density. Why deal with that amount of recoil.
I still use mine. It's mostly useful for large steel shot when hunting waterfowl and won't break the bank in high volume shoots.

3.5" has become less relevant with the development of " hevi shot" ammo. You can use smaller shot and get better penetration and pattern density. Why deal with that amount of recoil.
I still use mine. It's mostly useful for large steel shot when hunting waterfowl and won't break the bank in high volume shoots.
I agree. Lead alternatives have got better but having option to use steel is good

I'll accept "less relevant" with the development of HEVI-Shot, bismuth and TSS. But go on a duck or goose hunt and need borrow some ammo from a friend...better have a 3.5" chamber because it might be all that's available. It's the best move, especially for a dedicated waterfowl or turkey shotgun.

This is how crazy Mossberg is. All of the 940's are chambered in 3", even the ones with an optic cut. And none of the 935's with a 3.5" chamber have an optic cut. Simply ludicrous. They intentionally made them mutually exclusive. Why...so I have to own another Mossberg? Yeah...NO.

Besides, I want ALL the pellets for turkey hunting. ALL OF THEM! And they are to be TSS so I can reach out and "touch" them birds at 60+ yards. :W Sniper:

Less relevant I too would buy, however you'd have to believe that the greater pellet count is always more desirable.
I'll accept "less relevant" with the development of HEVI-Shot, bismuth and TSS. But go on a duck or goose hunt and need borrow some ammo from a friend...better have a 3.5" chamber because it might be all that's available. It's the best move, especially for a dedicated waterfowl or turkey shotgun.

This is how crazy Mossberg is. All of the 940's are chambered in 3", even the ones with an optic cut. And none of the 935's with a 3.5" chamber have an optic cut. Simply ludicrous. They intentionally made them mutually exclusive. Why...so I have to own another Mossberg? Yeah...NO.

Besides, I want ALL the pellets for turkey hunting. ALL OF THEM! And they are to be TSS so I can reach out and "touch" them birds at 60+ yards. :W Sniper:
I'm starting to get curious about the reliability of optics on the 3½" guns. Perhaps the barrel length is also a function of reliability as well. I'd be interested in a reliable 18" sighted semiautomatic shotgun with an optics cut although thanks to Warne we may not be needing them.

I'm starting to get curious about the reliability of optics on the 3½" guns. Perhaps the barrel length is also a function of reliability as well. I'd be interested in a reliable 18" sighted semiautomatic shotgun with an optics cut although thanks to Warne we may not be needing them.
I had two Vortex red dots (Venom or Viper...can't remember which) that both failed me. One was on a SBE2 3.5" that was primarily used for turkey and a 45ACP pistol that normally shot 230 grain bullets. I will not trust another Vortex optic.

After a long break of not trusting red dots, I got back on the bus with a Holoson 508T on a Beretta 1301. I absolutely love it. I have beaten the crap out of that thing and all it does is perform. The only caveat to your requirements is that I had to install a Aridus optic mount because there is no optic cut on my 1301. It still sits low, but with an optic cut it would be a bit lower for a better cheekweld.

1711835020235.png

Not sure about 3.5" vs red dots vs barrel length...but it sound interesting.

I had two Vortex red dots (Venom or Viper...can't remember which) that both failed me. One was on a SBE2 3.5" that was primarily used for turkey and a 45ACP pistol that normally shot 230 grain bullets. I will not trust another Vortex optic.

After a long break of not trusting red dots, I got back on the bus with a Holoson 508T on a Beretta 1301. I absolutely love it. I have beaten the crap out of that thing and all it does is perform. The only caveat to your requirements is that I had to install a Aridus optic mount because there is no optic cut on my 1301. It still sits low, but with an optic cut it would be a bit lower for a better cheekweld.

View attachment 596531

Not sure about 3.5" vs red dots vs barrel length...but it sound interesting.
Eric, I'm wondering about the reliability in the cycling due to the short barrel. I'm going to call the mossbergians next week and flat out ask them why not. I am unfamiliar with the gas system in these guns. I wonder if it needs a certain barrel length to work? Maybe there's a certain recoil limit they're shooting for? I once had my 835 fitted with a Blackhawk collapsible stock and it ate my lunch even with birdshot. It was just too light for the game.

There are lots of YouTube videos of shotgun buckshot deer hunts in North Carolina or South Carolina. Almost everyone uses a Browning long recoil Auto-5 12 gauge.
A long time ago I hunted with a large club in Upstate SC. The club would put out 15-20 drivers and 15-20 standers. Almost everyone used an Auto 5, except me and my 1100. On doe days we would each get at least one deer.
2 3/4 inch 00 Buck through a modified choke was very effective.
The cover was thick and shots were typically under 40 yards.

Upstate SC doesn’t allow dog drives. I wish they did!

Upstate SC doesn’t allow dog drives. I wish they did!
Sounds like a huge man drive to me. I've seen great success with such tactics. Of course it helps if you know the people you're hunting with and they have the restraint to abstain from shooting if unsure of the circumstances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caseycarpets

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.