Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
SCI Nordic Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
I`m planning for my buffhunt, and now the shooting practice are in the most intensive periode.

I`m using my Krieghoff Classic double rifle in caliber 470 NE.

And I have loaded
- 500 grs Woodleigh SNRN Vo 2160 f/sec
- 500 grs A-Frame Vo 2180 f/sec

I have bought factoryloads
- 500 grs Barnes Vor-TX Vo 2150 f/sec
- 500 grs Hornady DGX Bonded Vo 2150 f/sec

My solids/FMJ are 500 grs Woodleigh FMJ Vo 2160 f/sec

Wich one of these do you think are the best for buffalo, and why?

Thank`s a lot for your answer.

I look forward to the replies....

Since you’re hunting buff, I take it that you plan on a soft for your first shot with. Solid for follow up. All the loads you mentioned sound like they’d work. What regulates the best?

I`m planning for my buffhunt, and now the shooting practice are in the most intensive periode.

And I have loaded

This past January I purchase a Verny Carrion 470NE. It was regulated with the 500 grs Woodleigh as you have listed. I am not a hand loader so I contacted Lance Hindershot, https://hendershots.net, to help in developing a ammunition for the rifle. He sent me a trial box that included all the bullets you mentioned. I shot each set and they all shot well. However, the Woodleigh's shot the best. I was able to produce patterns exactly as the VC people did in the regulation process.

Congrats on the gun I love the 470NE! personally if the gun regulates well I would shoot the A-Frames both barrels. Dont see a reason for a solid on a buff with a 470. And I wouldnt shoot a buff with a Hornady bullet of any form ever. I fact i just dont ever shoot any hornady bullets in any caliber period not even at paper. There are far to many really good bullets available to shoot Hornady POS.

I used Woodleigh 500 softs both barrels without any problems with great penatration and expansion. No need for solids at request of PH. That’s the buff and rifle in avatar.

And I have loaded

I’ve used Woodleighs a couple of times and they worked fine each time (on Water Buff). Do you mind if I ask which powder you used? I’ve got a few kg of H4831SC left but once this runs out I’ll be limited to european powders. I’ve also got the Krieghoff double. What was your rifle regulated to at the factory? Mine was for Norma ammo.

I’ve used Woodleighs a couple of times and they worked fine each time (on Water Buff). Do you mind if I ask which powder you used? I’ve got a few kg of H4831SC left but once this runs out I’ll be limited to european powders. I’ve also got the Krieghoff double. What was your rifle regulated to at the factory? Mine was for Norma ammo.
Hi
My loads are with both 500 grs Woodleigh SNRN and A-Frame
Norma Cases, 91,5 grs with Vhitavuori N-150, and 103 grs Norma 204 (Vhitavuori N-160)
Federal 215 primers and a little crimp.
Vo for N-150 is 2160 F/sec and with Norma 204 the Vo is 2130 f/sec in my chronograph, It seems that the A-Frame has a litle bit higher Vo with this load, I think it`s because that the A-Frame are stiffer and gives a little bit more pressure.
My krieghoff is also regulated with Norma 500 grs, Norma use Woodleigh 500 grs SNRN it works very well, 1" spread at 70 meters.

I have checked Quick load with Norma MRP and 112 grs with MRP gives a fine low pressure loads and the Vo lays at 2150 f/sec.

Last edited:
Hi
My loads are with both 500 grs Woodleigh SNRN and A-Frame
Norma Cases, 91,5 grs with Vhitavuori N-150, and 103 grs Norma 204 (Vhitavuori N-160)
Federal 215 primers and a little crimp.
Vo for N-150 is 2160 F/sec and with Norma 204 the Vo is 2130 f/sec in my chronograph, It seems that the A-Frame has a litle bit higher Vo with this load, I think it`s because that the A-Frame are stiffer and gives a little bit more pressure.
My krieghoff is also regulated with Norma 500 grs, Norma use Woodleigh 500 grs SNRN it works very well, 1" spread at 70 meters.

I have checked Quick load with Norma MRP and 112 grs with MRP gives a fine low pressure loads and the Vo lays at 2150 f/sec.

Thanks! Handy info.

Woodleigh Soft Noses do the trick on Australian Water buffalo well , provided you keep the velocity modest.
In regards to solids on buffalo , they really are good stuff for end on end shots on buffalo but you should only use them if there are no other buffaloes directly behind the one , you are shooting. A friend with a .460 Weatherby and solids once accidentally wounded the buffalo behind his intended Target due to excessive penetration. But prior to the 1970s , most buffalo were taken with solids ( except WDM Bell who used to use a .22 Hi-Power " imp" loaded with 70 grain soft nose rounds to lung shoot buffalo , but that's a different thing )

Can I ask, have you checked with your PH to get their opinion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoniaMedla

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.