Which Hides?

DonPablo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Which Hides make good leather? I understand that kudu and wildebeest hides can be made into boots. What other hides could also be?

Black wildebeest makes excellent leather....one of the reasons they were almost hunted to extinction....

Warthog makes a very fine leather. My wife has a beautiful purse made from an old boar she shot.

Buffalo scrotum makes a nice shot shell holder
IMG_2221.jpeg
IMG_2220.jpeg
IMG_2222.jpeg

...Ele hide. Tough as woodpecker lips.
Purchased two pair courteneys veldskoens made in Zim. Had Russell make a pair of PH's for me and a pair for my wife. They used a bit of hide from one of my ele's and the hide from my wife's ele.
I had the soles replaced on my PH's, but the leather is impervious to the elements.

Kangaroo hide makes good leather.
It's thin, light and durable.
It has been known to be used in quality dress boots and sporting shoes.
Unfortunately there are calls from those that would like to shame thebbig companies into using alternatives.

Of you are speaking specifically about Africam hides them I have Courtney boots made fromm Buffalo with Impala hide used around the ankle support trim.

I had a pair of hunting boots and a pair of western boots made a few years ago from my buff hide... both have been worn extensively.. the leather is showing no signs of wear at all.. My guess is both pair of boots will last me the rest of my life..

If you are speaking specifically about Africam hides them I have Courtney boots made fromm Buffalo with Impala hide used around the ankle support trim.
I was just curious which of my hides I should have had turned into leather and which ones I might if/when I go back. I assumed that elephant and cape buffalo would be top of the list.

Unfortunately there are calls from those that would like to shame thebbig companies into using alternatives.

Of you are speaking specifically about Africam hides them I have Courtney boots made fromm Buffalo with Impala hide used around the ankle support trim.

My son's shortstop baseball glove is made from Kangaroo hide. Did not take him long to break it in.

Unfortunately there are calls from those that would like to shame the big companies into using alternatives.
Did I read correctly that you cannot hunt kangaroo down under?

Did I read correctly that you cannot hunt kangaroo down under?
Correct, they not huntable by the public
They are however harvested by licensed shooters. Each kangaroo harvested for sale will have a tag attached through the hide.
You should ba able to buy a proccesed hide for export.
Landholders can get culling permits to reduce numbers with approval.
I'm not sure of anyway a visitor could hunt them with approvals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyRav

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.