US Bill H. R. 7910

What this law means is that my household cannot display their firearms, they all must be locked in a safe at all times. We do not need to secure our weapons from anyone in the household, we only take serious the practices of separating gun+ammunition from any visitor of the household. The minors are in charge of this responsibility as much as any adult on the property. It's the first thing we do when we return from a hunt: take the ammo from the truck and lock it in the storage closet.

It appears in the future we won't be allowed to display our fine arms in a secure room any longer which is preposterous.
The "safe storage" law is part of the House bill which would also ban ARs, standard cap magazines etc., and has no chance in the Senate. It is not part of the Senate proposals as far as I know.

The "safe storage" law is part of the House bill which would also ban ARs, standard cap magazines etc., and has no chance in the Senate. It is not part of the Senate proposals as far as I know.

I wish the essence of safety was expressed. Either lock up your guns, or lock up your ammo, or both.

This is no different than locking up your ammonia, or locking up your bleach, or both but never together.

Next house I buy, I'm putting a vault door on my business office or library so the entire room can be considered hardened. @Red Leg did a nice job of making his gun room a display room that is hardened and posted about it on this forum.

I wish the essence of safety was expressed. Either lock up your guns, or lock up your ammo, or both.

I am against that. In case of an emergency, I do not wish to run to multiple locations to arm up. Regardless of where we are at the house we are within seconds of being fully armed and do not wish for that to change.

Especially in Southern CA where home invasions have been rampant.

I am against that. In case of an emergency, I do not wish to run to multiple locations to arm up. Regardless of where we are at the house we are within seconds of being fully armed and do not wish for that to change.

Your point is valid. There should always be a home-defense weapon exception. Then again, one could argue that all weapons could be used for home defense.

Totally agree. Not everyone lives in the same environment. And it isn't just self-defense. In the corner of the great room, I keep a .22, a thermal sighted 5.56, and a 16 bore. The .22 is for instant use on an armadillo, the thermal is for pigs and coyotes, and the 16 for our red squirrel plague.

To repel boarders, we have a firearm within easy access anywhere within the house. Obviously, they are put safely out of the way when children are in the house. Like most rural and many urban Texans, a handgun resides pretty much permanently in the truck.

What someone representing a northeast or west coast urban environment thinks is appropriate is not particularly relevant to me.

I cringe at this bill or whatever new version of it actually becomes law.

My kids had to attend hunter education before they were allowed to handle any type of firearm. Once they passed, they were made accountable to control the storage of our firearms and ammunition.

We enjoy looking at functional art and we have a library where our firearms (and theirs) are on display. In addition, they have firearms hanging on their walls (e.g. a deactivated parade Krag)

We then have a separate keypad accessed storage closet on a different floor of the home where we practice good ammo hygiene so that someone cannot easily connect firearms to ammunition.

What this law means is that my household cannot display their firearms, they all must be locked in a safe at all times. We do not need to secure our weapons from anyone in the household, we only take serious the practices of separating gun+ammunition from any visitor of the household. The minors are in charge of this responsibility as much as any adult on the property. It's the first thing we do when we return from a hunt: take the ammo from the truck and lock it in the storage closet.

It appears in the future we won't be allowed to display our fine arms in a secure room any longer which is preposterous.
That is nowhere in the senate agreement. As I said, the House bill was dead on arrival and is not under consideration.

To repel boarders, we have a firearm within easy access anywhere within the house. Obviously, they are put safely out of the way when children are in the house. Like most rural and many urban Texans, a handgun resides pretty much permanently in the truck.

This is a tricky point. A child is 18 or under, or 19, or 21, or 25 depending which government definition is used. I appreciate the fact that my children are as highly trained as possible to the safe use of firearms (they had to attend hunter safety 3x to become certified junior instructors as an example)

I wonder if the future law will criminalize a loaded gun in the home if you have minors, effectively making millions of home owners criminals in the process?

It all points back to the government trying to stop shootings and violence by looking at the wrong factors. Children aren't the risk factor that mass shootings have in common, but lack of dads in homes is. So too is being medicated for a mental illness where the person has just come off their prescribed meds.

If you were visited by a very responsible 12 year old that has years of hunting experience, would you lock up the loaded weapons you described, point out where they are and that they are loaded for a particular purpose? <- That was an honest question and I'm curious to know your thoughts.

That is nowhere in the senate agreement. As I said, the House bill was dead on arrival and is not under consideration.
The problem with all of these feel good bills is that what they say is not what will happen. They are a foot in the door to be expanded as the dirty politicians see fit later. Consider all the gun control trash hitherto passed. It started out rather innocuous but morphed into a real threat: it concerned only "this" ie high cap mags, pistol grips, certain types of guns, ammo, etc. They always find a loophole to try to plug. Thankfully, it doesn't always work, but we must be ever vigilant to nip it in the bud.

This is a tricky point. A child is 18 or under, or 19, or 21, or 25 depending which government definition is used. I appreciate the fact that my children are as highly trained as possible to the safe use of firearms (they had to attend hunter safety 3x to become certified junior instructors as an example)

I wonder if the future law will criminalize a loaded gun in the home if you have minors, effectively making millions of home owners criminals in the process?

It all points back to the government trying to stop shootings and violence by looking at the wrong factors. Children aren't the risk factor that mass shootings have in common, but lack of dads in homes is. So too is being medicated for a mental illness where the person has just come off their prescribed meds.

If you were visited by a very responsible 12 year old that has years of hunting experience, would you lock up the loaded weapons you described, point out where they are and that they are loaded for a particular purpose? <- That was an honest question and I'm curious to know your thoughts.

So, first I think we are always in danger of an overreaching "gun safety" measure passing an unfriendly congress. In the same way, we are in danger of a liberal court determining that unlike the rest of the Bill of Rights, the 2d Amendment does not convey an individual right, but a collective one (I mean if a liberal court could find an individual right to kill unborn babies, standing the 2nd on its head wouldn't be too hard.)

I don't personally know such a child right now. However, I do know a couple of older very responsible teenagers who occasionally visit. Like at their parents' homes, our firearms are neither an issue nor a novelty.

The problem with all of these feel good bills is that what they say is not what will happen. They are a foot in the door to be expanded as the dirty politicians see fit later. Consider all the gun control trash hitherto passed. It started out rather innocuous but morphed into a real threat: it concerned only "this" ie high cap mags, pistol grips, certain types of guns, ammo, etc. They always find a loophole to try to plug. Thankfully, it doesn't always work, but we must be ever vigilant to nip it in the bud.

Yes, but with respect to loopholes, gun owners and manufacturers are pretty good at exploiting them as well. ;)

This is my favorite home defense "pistol" as built and marketed by Daniel Defense. :unsure: The uninformed might think it is a short barreled rifle, but that is only because it easy to mistake the forearm brace for a buttstock. Even I blush at this subterfuge a little.

ddm.jpg

Last edited:

I don't have children of my own but I do "babysit" hand out with various friends' and family members' children and grandchildren. All these youngsters know where loaded, unloaded, and ammo is located, and how to operate all these firearms. These youngsters we're taught very young, like around 5 how to load and shoot, training started as soon as they started walking not to touch these firearms, and the butt whipping and/or hand smacking they would get for doing so.

By age 7 these youngsters owned their own first .22 rifle, and we're learning to handle 223/556, 357/38 spl, 9mm, 7mm-08 calibers for their first deer hunt.

These youngsters are also properly educated that firearms are for self and family property protection and hunting only.

These youngsters will check to insure household and weapons in my vehicle are secure when other youngsters are coming to visit.

Long answer to your question, but Yes.

As a footnote: firearms and ammo and extra mags/speed loaders are located together.

I don't have children of my own but I do "babysit" hand out with various friends' and family members' children and grandchildren. All these youngsters know where loaded, unloaded, and ammo is located, and how to operate all these firearms. These youngsters we're taught very young, like around 5 how to load and shoot, training started as soon as they started walking not to touch these firearms, and the butt whipping and/or hand smacking they would get for doing so.

By age 7 these youngsters owned their own first .22 rifle, and we're learning to handle 223/556, 357/38 spl, 9mm, 7mm-08 calibers for their first deer hunt.

These youngsters are also properly educated that firearms are for self and family property protection and hunting only.

These youngsters will check to insure household and weapons in my vehicle are secure when other youngsters are coming to visit.

Long answer to your question, but Yes.

As a footnote: firearms and ammo and extra mags/speed loaders are located together.

Good for you and those well trained youngsters. You hit on the two points of kids and guns well: 1.) training, 2.) no curiosity. Kids are curious of new things and prohibited things, thus if they are both familiar and trained, the unsafe curiosity does not exist. Its the same with table saws, nail guns, drill presses, or any other tool.

As an aside, I'm such a nervous nelly when it comes to these topics, I go to crazy ends. About once a year I need to test cycle and feed of firearms. That means I need guns and ammo in the same location at the same time in my workshop. First thing I do is remove the firing pin and walk it to the other end of the house. I do my work, and then put the ammo back in the locked room, then recover the firing pin and make the firearm functional again.

Good for you and those well trained youngsters. You hit on the two points of kids and guns well: 1.) training, 2.) no curiosity. Kids are curious of new things and prohibited things, thus if they are both familiar and trained, the unsafe curiosity does not exist. Its the same with table saws, nail guns, drill presses, or any other tool.

As an aside, I'm such a nervous nelly when it comes to these topics, I go to crazy ends. About once a year I need to test cycle and feed of firearms. That means I need guns and ammo in the same location at the same time in my workshop. First thing I do is remove the firing pin and walk it to the other end of the house. I do my work, and then put the ammo back in the locked room, then recover the firing pin and make the firearm functional again.

:LOL::LOL:....funny you mentioned
saw(s), nail guns, other tools, but not heavy machinery like farm tractors, backhoe, 52 inch zero turn mower, mini bike and doing farm work, as at 7 years old, my buddies grandson was operating/ doing all these things like a season professional. Now that the other grandson has turned 5 years old he too will be getting his introduction to farm work, firearms training and shooting.

:LOL::LOL:....funny you mentioned
saw(s), nail guns, other tools, but not heavy machinery like farm tractors, backhoe, 52 inch zero turn mower, mini bike and doing farm work, as at 7 years old, my buddies grandson was operating/ doing all these things like a season professional. Now that the other grandson has turned 5 years old he too will be getting his introduction to farm work, firearms training and shooting.

All tools used improperly are dangerous. Children that don't learn how to properly use and care for tools never become adults.

All tools used improperly are dangerous. Children that don't learn how to properly use and care for tools never become adults.

Nor do they become productive with good work ethics and morals, eventually becoming future business owners.

Totally agree. ...

...What someone representing a northeast or west coast urban environment thinks is appropriate is not particularly relevant to me.
Well, having lived in that situation, I would think that anyone in that environment would definitely need to have near instantaneous access to a firearm for self defense.

I feel a hell of a lot safer here in rural WE Arizona than I ever did in the SF Bay Area. Here most people are armed in some degree and people are a bit more circumspect.

Well, having lived in that situation, I would think that anyone in that environment would definitely need to have near instantaneous access to a firearm for self defense.

I feel a hell of a lot safer here in rural WE Arizona than I ever did in the SF Bay Area. Here most people are armed in some degree and people are a bit more circumspect.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

One of the last century's great authors.

So they are going to try and pass a whole slew of new laws, all supposedly based on "common sense". When they don't work, they will try to pass another whole slew of laws, based on "common sense". There is no "compromise" here, just more laws that only honest people will respect, and we get nothing. This is how it always goes, and they will not be happy until all guns are banned.
I know plenty of gun owners who support a ban on AR 15's because they have no want or need for one. I always tell them that if they are stupid enough to think the Govt. will, after banning AR's, stop at that point, then they deserve it when their bolt action hunting rifle suddenly becomes a "sniper rifle".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atax300

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.