Understanding The Phenomenon Of Jacket-Core Separation

I have not heard of any Woodleigh coming apart like that. I guess a dud can always get through.

Just out of curiosity what was the brand of ammo? I would still send the recovered bullet to them as the Ammo manufacturer may have put some other bullet in the mix. Not say it is a deliberate move as they would not want to get a bad name, just a mistake.

Just trying to cover all bases as looking at the photo it does not look like it was a bonded bullet.

This happened to me about 20 years ago when I shot a buffalo at a very short distance with the cartridge 500 Schüler and a 535gr FMJ bullet from Woodleigh. The jacket of the bullet was split lengthways and the lead core was hanging out. I shot elephants before and even afterwards with the same bullet without any problems.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of this bullet because I sent it to the Woodleigh company after the hunt. Geoff McDonald responded quickly and informed me that unfortunately they are not responsible for the quality of the alloys. Is understandable and I remained loyal to Woodleigh. At the moment, however, I am a client of Degol in Belgium, among other things because Woodleigh no longer delivers, although I must also note that Degol's bullets are much stronger than those from Woodleigh, at least as far as some calibers are concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.