Turkey hunt with my dog

igotit

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
SA, AZ, CO, Canada
Hello all, new to turkey hunting and I have two dogs, both under a year old, that I’ve dialed in on e-collars. Things like come/here, wait/stay, and stay by me/heel. Like I said, both under a year(7 and 10 months) so they’re not totally trained yet but good enough, I think, to start runnin on wild game.

One’s a German Shorthaired Pointer, and the other is a 50/50 German Shepherd-AmStaff Mix.
I’ve seen my pointer spook/tree turkeys on two separate occasions, before I even knew those were turkeys he took off chasing; he’s very motivated to get out and spook whatever he can. I felt if I had a shotgun in hand, I could’ve skeet shot both turkeys. Also, he’s a laser beam on scent trails I’ve laid with beef and venison livers. So how do I turn this into proper turkey hunting? My shep-pit pup mostly stays on my hip but occasionally takes off after stuff with the pointer. Not a lot on the YouTube about dog hunting turkeys so I figured I’d ask y’all.

Here in the Appalachians it’s only legal in the fall and most turkey dogs here are pointer hound mix. But any that are interested enough to bust a flock work. Basically you take them out in a good spot and wait for the dog to find and bust the flock then you go to the last location and set up and call. I and everyone else I know who does it use a call called the keekee run, basically 8 or so whiny yelps all linked no pauses between. The dogs have to be trained to lay still and I cover mine with burlap. If all goes right, you’ll be surrounded by yelping birds all wanting to regroup. Of course you could always limb swat treed ones, but where’s the fun or sport in that?

I’d teach your pointer to point them and then grab that shotgun and start wing shooting some Turkeys.

I do hunt with Springer Spaniels though.

That would be my proper Turkey hunt. I have walked up and flushed Turkeys on my own in South Dakota. It was great fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelaPlone

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?