The Ideal African "Light Rifle", that is the Question?

I was just running some recoil calculations on a 10# 338-378 KT project (similar to Elmer Keith's elk rifle)...250 gr bullet at 3k fps...right at 50 ft lbs of recoil for a top end load, which is more than a 340 Wby. Playing with different reloads you can get it down around 40 lbs of recoil and that's not bad.

That’s interesting. Mine weighs 11.0 pounds empty.

Do you have an app you are using fo do the calculations?

I agree. For some reason people expect that it’s a recoil beast but I find it more of a shove than a punch.
My daughter started shooting my Ed Brown .340 when she was twelve years old . . . and is deadly. :)

IMG_7189.jpeg
IMG_7188.jpeg
IMG_7187.jpeg
IMG_7186.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool pictures. Tough little Gal. Proof that if one has the right mindset and desire they can handle a lot more than they might otherwise.

I agree. For some reason people expect that it’s a recoil beast but I find it more of a shove than a punch.

The recoil depends on the rifle that you use. I own a custom rifle caliber 340 Weatherby Magnum built on a FN Mauser action and with a 26" heavy barrel. The rifle is therefore heavy, but despite the 250gr bullet and the maximum load, the recoil remains very tolerable.

In use here, sure, it has nothing to do with hunting in Africa, but what kills a Ibex in the high mountains also kills antelopes in Africa.

Scan 42.jpeg

Well, I do not have a pic but my 12 year old grandson was shooting my 340 off the bench at 12 years of age. Semi custom with a 1966 Rem. 700 action sako ext. Brown Precision stock and I do not remember whose barrel.
With 225 Partitions it is a force.
Just like the young lady after reach shot I would enjoy a very large grin.

The recoil depends on the rifle that you use. I own a custom rifle caliber 340 Weatherby Magnum built on a FN Mauser action and with a 26" heavy barrel. The rifle is therefore heavy, but despite the 250gr bullet and the maximum load, the recoil remains very tolerable.

In use here, sure, it has nothing to do with hunting in Africa, but what kills a Ibex in the high mountains also kills antelopes in Africa.

View attachment 603400
What a great photo. Great adventure.

After my buddy’s close brush with an unprovoked charge by a cow ele, I personally set my minimum carry in DG country to 9.3x62 or .375. Sure grateful he was carrying his .375, as he stoned that cow after she took out his PH.

Oh and here’s my idea of a perfect African light rifle, Rigby Highland Stalker in 9.3x62.

Image1714833730.652880.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabe

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg