Survey do you tip the owner if he is your Professional Hunter?

Do you tip the owner if he is your PH?

• Yes - always

Votes: 72 91.1%
  • Yes - only if something truly exceptional occurs

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Yes - only when hunting dangerous game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
My PH in Mozambique was also the owner of the lease. In my mind, it would have been improper not to tip him for his effort performing as the PH. All of his 'owner' work was done at night after dinner and we were off to bed.

You tip on a daily basis? :unsure:

That could be exhausting on a Zim hunt as you could have a staff of 9 or so.

Yes
I have always tipped on a daily basis not percentage of hunt total.
Ph gets x per day on plains game. More on DG. If I have multiple PHs on a DG hunt they each get x amount. Camp staff has always been by day also. X for tracker/skinner. X for cook. X for cleaning/laundry.
I keep a log day by day of who and what I will tip.
Yes on my last two trips. 21 day safaris it did add up. But that is just the way I do it.

I tip the ph, a very good friend of mine in tangible goods, flash lights, batteries, scopes, slings, etc, the trackers and staff, literally the clothes off my back, cutlery, socks, etc, be generous as u can, the next hunters may be asses

I’ve encountered this twice with same person. Small operation in SA.
My brain said no, but my heart said yes. He was my PH and did all guide related matters.

He means tip is based on a daily average not total bill. Not handing out money etc each day :LOL:

Never if he is the owner.

People paying the owner/ph a tip maybe do so in order to keep him quiet regarding their poor shooting abilities…

When buying a car or tv or whatelse, do I give a tip because I received a friendly treatment plus good advise?

Never if he is the owner.

People paying the owner/ph a tip maybe do so in order to keep him quiet regarding their poor shooting abilities…

When buying a car or tv or whatelse, do I give a tip because I received a friendly treatment plus good advise?
What if you drank at a small pub and the owner was the bartender. Would you not tip him?

I tipped the staff cash only. With all the goods clients have given them every year and they are still using old shitty stuff- they are just selling it for pennies on the dollars for cigs. Just like when our bosses buy us some stupid acrylic plaque - we just want money

@Tanks how did your trips to Zim & Zambia go? Posting a report?

@Tanks how did your trips to Zim & Zambia go? Posting a report?
They went great. I am taking off again in 11 days, so getting prepared for that. I also have a lot of video to edit. It will be a bit before I do the reports.

They went great. I am taking off again in 11 days, so getting prepared for that. I also have a lot of video to edit. It will be a bit before I do the reports.
Yes, I heard they went great. Hope to read your report!

Yes, I tipped the owner who was my PH, I also tipped the PH who picked me up at the airport.

If you are shooting the same calibre as your PH tip them the ammo you didn’t use or take factory ammo or projectiles for a tip instead of money as talking to a ph ammo is harder to get in Africa

Like many others, I would have, but didn't, tip the owner whom was also my PH, because it was a horrible experience, had it been a fantastic experience the tip would not have been as much as a hired/employed PH because I figure (or knew) that their daily fees would have covered or at least been part of the overall safari costs.

I always tip by service. I take 3 envelops with me that has PH, Tracker/skinner. Camp Staff on them. When the safari is over I give the envelopes to the PH or outfitter depending on who is doing the final paperwork and settling the final payment. My reasoning is that the PH/outfitter are the ones than need to keep the camp organized and running smoothly. Gifts I bring are never considered part of the tip.

Uh oh. Never thought about that. If I do a meet and greet with the property owner after the hunt, I will usually leave them something. As often as not they refuse. I never offered last time when I was hunting my PH's property. We hunted that place quite a bit. Just never thought about it. I'll make good on it this year. Thanks for posting this thread.

I am one to tip the PH for exceptional service or letting me shoot another animal for free..

Interestingly I asked a dozen of my friends who are farmers and small business people who have hunted in Africa and their results were inverse of the poll. The vast majority in the poll said always tip the Owner if he is the PH. My friends and I are the inverse. I think we figure that the owner has profit built in to his/her charges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeredithSt

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.