Starting a cartridge collection...

Axle2010

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I how this is the best place to put this thread. I'd like to start my own cartridge collection and I know a lot of you guys have extensive sets over the years. So what is the best way to get a good collection with having to buy a box at a time in each caliber? That would be EXPENSIVE! I've seen sets that you can buy all intact and in display cases but I'd like to build my own instead of buying an off the shelf deal. Thanks as usual for any suggestions.

I how this is the best place to put this thread. I'd like to start my own cartridge collection and I know a lot of you guys have extensive sets over the years. So what is the best way to get a good collection with having to buy a box at a time in each caliber? That would be EXPENSIVE! I've seen sets that you can buy all intact and in display cases but I'd like to build my own instead of buying an off the shelf deal. Thanks as usual for any suggestions.
Gun shows offer probably the wides variety under one roof

Collectors put requests on the different gun forums. Swapping with other collectors is another avenue.

Most nicer/better Gun Shows have Dealers that sell individual cartridges. A lot of the common calibers, and many rarer, or hard to find calibers as well. Good Luck in your search!

I started one as well but have not gone on and publicly announced on this forum. Cal Pappas was a knowledgeable individual when it came down to double rifles and those old cartridges. I managed to purchase a couple of dummy rounds from him, and I had spoken to him about getting some other calibers. Unfortunately, he unexpectedly passed away.

I'm planning on going to Gun shows to see what they have. Maybe some could help out here. I have 375 H&H & 416 Rem Mag, and some Weatherby Mag cartridges, maybe we could help each other. PM if you like so we won't clutter your post.

I’ve had good luck buying individual empty cases at my local gunsmiths. They end up with a lot of empties from guns they work on, some in oddball or rare calibers. My collection is pretty small though. I just realized I need a new picture, I’ve added about 50% more since this picture
4219532F-1C9B-435E-A8C6-216CF5EF7C7C.jpeg

Bert it looks like you're off to a pretty good start to me, I don't have a third of that. I've only got what I shoot so far; 223, 243, 270, 3030, 308, 30-06, 300wm, 338wm, 375H&H, and 45-70. I have LONG way to go hopefully I'll be adding 35 Whelen 375 Raptor and maybe a 416 or 458 this year.

I think most start like you guys when we are younger & later develop into some thing else.

It is a good idea to pick a field & work on those ie Pistol sub cat - Big Bore - Vintage or Vintage Sporting Rifle, Modern Sporting - Shotgun.

I started same as you, then wanted to collect Vintage Kynoch packets & cartridges, unfortunate it got out of hand & I'm struggling to hold it down.

Could be worse a buddy started after me collecting Shot Gun packets & cartridges, now has a large Museum that grew from a smaller Museum that started from a room !!

I was hoping to buy the Hi Power packet Rookhawk had up the other day but was too slow & could only take the empty pack any way, I also was in talks with Cal on a few of his Big Bore packets .

The US seems to have a lot more Gun Shows than us but I have picked up a few from them here & in Australia, in Africa I have picked up empty packets I wanted but the best way to gain knowledge & increase your collection would be to join a Cartridge Collectors Club it is amazing what people have as spares & will sell at a reasonably price or even give you to draw you into the Klan lol !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.