Reload with IMR4064 458win/lott 400gn bullet

-- Jr --

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Argentina
Hello people! I have a CZ 458 lott, and I want to make some reloads for 400gn bullets. I am not looking for maximum speed, since the bullets are lead with gas check. Maximum 200fpts. The ideal would be 3031, but I only have 4064. In the manuals it appears for 500gn tips. Has anyone tried this powder for the 400gn bullets?

Whats-App-Image-2024-04-07-at-08-39-39.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jr
Please clarify:
what velocity are you wanting?
Are you making your own bullets?
Are your bullets pure lead or lead alloy?
How much alloy is in the lead?
What type(s) of alloy are mixed in the lead?
What brand of 4064: IMR or H?

If you can provide me the above information I might be able to help you.

However you are most likely going to need to change to a jacketed bullet or go to a lighter bullet, reloading using 45-70 reload powder charge data.

With the long Lott cartridge you may also need a fiber wad between the powder charge and bullet.

I have tested 350 grain 45-70 jacketed bullets using IMR4064 in my 458WM.

Thanks for the reply Ridge Runner!

1- Between 1900 and 2000 fps.
2- A friend of mine who passed away melted them, aporox. 400 bullets.
3- Honestly, I don't know if is pure or alloy.
4- The gunpowder is purchased by a wholesaler from Argentina and divided into fractions. I think it's IMR, but I'm not sure.

Whats-App-Image-2024-04-08-at-19-42-24.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jr

There are 2 immediate problems that have to be resolved:

1) You will need to test the hardness of the lead bullets. Not super hard and not wanting pure lead for the velocity range you listed at between 1900 to 2000 fps.

2) You will need to identify the powder IMR4064 and H4064 are 2 different powders and they Are Not interchangeable; you can not substitute (ie. use the same) powder load weights.

Once the problems are solved I should be able to help recommended some load data for you.

RR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesDet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.