Reviews
Reaction score
Website
riflepermits.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
“ZERO QUOTA A HUGE MISTAKE” - PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS SA

PRETORIA, SOUTH AFRICA - The Professional Hunters Association of South Africa (PHASA) today said they are “profoundly disappointed” in the Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) decision to extend the zero quota for the hunting of leopard to 2017.

The zero quota has been in place since January 2016.

“To the best of our knowledge, there is currently no reliable scientific evidence to substantiate the zero quota for the second consecutive year,” says Tharia Unwin, chief executive officer, PHASA.

DEA’s statistics for 2015 show a legal offtake of only 42, 37 and 36 leopards during 2013, 2014 and 2015 respectively. “This is far less than the approved CITES and national quotas and speaks of good selective and sustainable hunting practices,” says Unwin.

“Given the above, it is our humble submission that the total number of leopards taken is probably less than 1% of the country’s leopard populations, if the latter is very conservatively estimated at 5 000 leopards,” she adds.

“The legal offtake of leopard is not the problem. On the contrary, without any legal offtake, there is no incentive for landowners to tolerate predators preying on small game or livestock and this results in indiscriminate poisoning, trapping and illegal shooting, ” she explains.

“The loss of leopards in the wild due to illegal offtake and poaching for cultural and religious ceremonies, far outweighs the loss of foreign income derived from the historically low legal offtakes. This is an ongoing concern and simply cannot be denied,” says Unwin.

PHASA is deeply concerned about the unintended consequences of the extension.

“We support the DEA in their quest to gather unbiased scientific information and acknowledge that draft Leopard Norms and Standards and Damage Causing Animal regulations are in the pipeline, as negotiated between DEA, scientists and the private sector during 2016. The private sector is also embarking on its own independent research.

Source: Professional Hunters' Association of South Africa (PHASA)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hear hear! Its surprising to see a government as pro-hunting as RSA making such a foolish decision. Makes you wonder who's pockets are getting lined by the anti-hunting special interests....

Sad that so much is misunderstood about legal hunting. The leopard population will quite possibly now get destroyed having no incentive to maintain a stable controlled population.

Hopefully they will get the info needed this year and have quota in 2018

The best reply to the twits that ban hunting.
An personal description of the consequence.

I hope they can resolve this issue in the future! It just seems like they are picking a species and focusing all their efforts to stop hunting of that species
They succeeded with the leopard! Wonder whats next....

I hope they can resolve this issue in the future! It just seems like they are picking a species and focusing all their efforts to stop hunting of that species
They succeeded with the leopard! Wonder whats next....

Giraffe seems to be next on the list.

I don't think Leopard is over and done with though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrodieLazz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.