Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I thought this might help anyone doing their own regulation for a new DR. This is my sixth DR. All my previous ones seemed to have no problem regulating. However my new 470 using my Quick Load had the barrels crossing at 50 yards and regulating between 2.5 and 3 inches. While that might not bother most people it bothered me. I want to thank @Mark A Ouellette for his generous help helping me obtain the very best regulation I have ever had in all 6 DRs!!!

My path started as usual with Quick Load which I like. The best load it seemed was using my RL 15.5 powder at 85.5 grains for my CEB Solids for my upcoming elephant hunt. In Quick Load this showed well within safe PSI and 2043 FPS. However, when I shot them, they crossed at 50 yards and had a max of 3 inches. In talking to Mark, he recommended I ladder both up and down from this load to find the sweet spot.

I decided to start at 80 grams up to 90 grams of my RL 15.5 powder with 4 bullets each. Please see the first target...I started with 80 grains and found there was absolutely no crossing of barrels but quite a bit apart. I then went to the polar opposite of 90 grains and found on the same target that indeed as with my 85.5 grains, the barrels were crossing. I used my chronograph and found to my surprise that while QL had told me my FPS was 2,000 I found actually the QL FPS was off by as much as 200 FPS in all tested loads. This instantly told me my best regulation would be somewhere between 80 and 84 grains of RL 15.5. I jumped to 83 and you can see in the second target the barrels still did not cross but still somewhat apart.

The magic came at 84 grains...what a wonderful day!!!!! I was able to place 4 shots within one inch perfectly...this is the absolute best regulation I have ever got in one of my DRs. The chronograph showed this 84 grains produced 2150 FPS. I had seen many of you say this was the perfect FPS for a 470 and man are all of you correct at least for my new DR.

Hope this helps anyone trying to regulate their DR.
Target 1.jpg
Target 2.jpg

Who made your new 470 double?
I am still very pleased with your old 470.

Hope to take it to Africa next year.

Always rewarding to find a load that matches the regulation for your rifle! Gotta get some RL 15.5!

I thought this might help anyone doing their own regulation for a new DR. This is my sixth DR. All my previous ones seemed to have no problem regulating. However my new 470 using my Quick Load had the barrels crossing at 50 yards and regulating between 2.5 and 3 inches. While that might not bother most people it bothered me. I want to thank @Mark A Ouellette for his generous help helping me obtain the very best regulation I have ever had in all 6 DRs!!!

My path started as usual with Quick Load which I like. The best load it seemed was using my RL 15.5 powder at 85.5 grains for my CEB Solids for my upcoming elephant hunt. In Quick Load this showed well within safe PSI and 2043 FPS. However, when I shot them, they crossed at 50 yards and had a max of 3 inches. In talking to Mark, he recommended I ladder both up and down from this load to find the sweet spot.

I decided to start at 80 grams up to 90 grams of my RL 15.5 powder with 4 bullets each. Please see the first target...I started with 80 grains and found there was absolutely no crossing of barrels but quite a bit apart. I then went to the polar opposite of 90 grains and found on the same target that indeed as with my 85.5 grains, the barrels were crossing. I used my chronograph and found to my surprise that while QL had told me my FPS was 2,000 I found actually the QL FPS was off by as much as 200 FPS in all tested loads. This instantly told me my best regulation would be somewhere between 80 and 84 grains of RL 15.5. I jumped to 83 and you can see in the second target the barrels still did not cross but still somewhat apart.

The magic came at 84 grains...what a wonderful day!!!!! I was able to place 4 shots within one inch perfectly...this is the absolute best regulation I have ever got in one of my DRs. The chronograph showed this 84 grains produced 2150 FPS. I had seen many of you say this was the perfect FPS for a 470 and man are all of you correct at least for my new DR.

Hope this helps anyone trying to regulate their DR.
View attachment 586201View attachment 586202
Thanks to my good friend @AimSmall for calling out my typo...When you see grams please replace with grains.

Who made your new 470 double?
I am still very pleased with your old 470.

Hope to take it to Africa next year.
So glad!!! We will want to see your trophies!!!!

Thanks for the write up @Rare Breed. Looks like I’ll be needing to test some loads as well in the nearby future.

This is great to see. I appreciate you sharing. I’ve found that dialing in the load to the targeted velocity for that round, generally dials in the regulation as well. I’m glad this is working so well for you and your upcoming hunt. It can be a maddening, elusive black magic at times.

I am glad you found a good load that shoots to the regulation of the double. It is always nice when you get a solid load in only a few range sessions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OrenMays0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.