booker

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Brazil, Argentina, Canada, Mexico, Belize, Spain and USA
Question --- I am looking to purchase a model 70 in .375 HH What I want to know from the folks like you who have handled and operated the different era's of this rifle is. Dollars not being an issue what era is best Pre-64, the 90's redesign or the middle push feed era? Looking at dependability, accuracy and being utilitarian.

Im going to guess you will get a unanimous response on the middle push feed era being at the bottom of the heap.. and the overwhelming majority will say that a pre-64 in good condition is at the top (assuming that dollars are a non issue)... which leaves the current CRF 70's in the middle..

My Model 70 Classics in 375 and ‘06 will shoot circles around our Pre-64s. Anecdotal evidence only, sample size of two each. That said, the Pre 64s shoot plenty good enough to take 100% of the game I’m after, and they got that swag.

Here is my 2c

Depends what your doing with it...

Pre-War rifles didn't have the good scope mounting system. If you want to shoot open sites, utilize the old scope mounts, or build a custom rifle, then these rifles are defiantly top of the list cool.

The Post war, pre-64 guns are very very good rifles and maintain the cool factor with all the modern scope mounting possibilities without customizing (or drilling holes) in a vintage gun.

The post-64 push feed guns are bottom of desirable list. But these can be very good guns if you are not concerned with CRF action and the pre-64 cool factor.. They are relatively easy to get parts for compared to the older guns. I personally have one of these customized, Its an excellent gun for what I using for, and it didn't cost first born son.

The new CRF riles are excellent and arguably perhaps function better than the pre-64 guns at about 1/2 the price.

At the end of the day, its all about what your going to do with it, how much you have to spend, and how much cool factor you want.

Performance wise I would put the newer CRF model 70’s at the top of the heap. It’s hard to beat the allure of the pre 64, but as an engineer, I chose the newer version for my custom builds.

...Pre '64

Performance wise I would put the newer CRF model 70’s at the top of the heap. It’s hard to beat the allure of the pre 64, but as an engineer, I chose the newer version for my custom builds.

I like the trigger on the pre-BACO guns. Not that I have any bad experience with the new ones. So they need to bring that back, and some SS lefties again

Pre 64. Don't bother with any of the 70's and 80's push feeds, garbage era for winchester. The current production models are really good factory guns but they don't have the classic allure of the pre-64's.

"Dollars not being the issue"---there are a lot of custom 375's out there for sale that would surpass any sort of factory offering. I have recently seen a Kimber Caprivi in 375 HH come up for sale at a reasonable price, I'd use one of those before a current factory winchester.

I will stand with post 64 CRF. better made than pre-64 with gas protection. though I would have no issues using a push feed for dangerous game. the biggest writer who proves why is warren page. his main rifle in Africa that he used was a 375 Weatherby Remington 721 on all forms of dangerous game from buff to elephant and never saw one issue with it. so I would reason to believe that a modern push feed would be even more reliable.

I have one pre64 and three from Portugal. Can’t say I really notice a difference. There certainly are a lot of differing opinions but my fit finish, feed / eject and triggers are all very nice. Ford/ Chevy

IMO the 2008-present FN built ones from North Carolina and now Portugal assembly are the best. IIRC they incorporate some of the safety improvements post 64 with all of the best attributes of pre-64, modern materials and metallurgy, a better trigger, and modern scope mounting capability. The one-piece floor plate is nicer too.

The MOA trigger has been out for ~15 years now. No issues that I can find other than a four pound pull. FN engineering isn't crap. The only freeze up video I could find turned out to be a Classic with the old trigger. Tikkas are also enclosed designs, and they do just fine in the arctic.

About ten years ago I had a .270 Win Stainless Classic Sporter and a .375 Stainless Classic, both in the good serial number range. The FN South Carolina Stainless FWT and .375 H&H Safari Express were better built, so the Classics went down the road to some other happy fellows.

You will have better luck finding a new Model 70 Safari Express. in 375H&H. A pre-64 in 375H&H will take time to find. I have a pre-64 in 30.06 and three of the new Model 70's, (270, 300winmag and 375H&H), one assembled in the U.S. and two from Portugal, all CRF. The fit and finish on the new rifles is superior to the pre-64. I used the 30.06 on my first plains game hunt in Namibia 35 years ago and it performed beautifully. Same with my new rifles. No difference in how they operate, but the newer ones, especially a Super Grade or a Safari Express will have nicer wood and finish.

2nd on late New Haven “Classic” CRFs

0B36D345-B0A0-4CCC-9FCD-15BCC018772F.jpeg

Just noticed, both rifles in my avatar are Classic 70’s. 375 H&H and 458 Lott. Tricked out a little, and wouldn’t take for either of them.

I have guns from all periods and except for a single push feed post 64 300 Win, they have all shot well. I have never had a feeding issue. Your mileage may vary.

I’m an outlier I suppose. I’ve owned a number of Model 70s over the years, including all of the eras or generations mentioned. Pre 64, post 64 push feed, the later CRF guns made in New Haven, and the latest ones manufactured in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. IMO the pre 64s have the mystique but the latest generation are more accurate and have better fit and finish. Plus most of the pre 64s have stocks with a lot of drop while the current production rifles have what’s now called a classic American profile with relatively little drop. I much prefer less drop. The pre 64 trigger is better and easily adjustable, but for little money, a new trigger can be installed in a new production rifle to address this issue. I’ll take the new production rifles every day..

As a collector of pre-64 M70’s, I’m obviously biased- EXCEPT in .375 H&H. If a pre in .375 hasn’t cracked, it will - particularly if shot from the bench. The new production are double lugged and have great triggers. All my actual hunting Winchester are modern production FN produced.

As a long time across-the-course target shooter, I have a natural; preference for pre-WW II Model 70's. They are exceptionally smooth operating and for the benefit of us ATC shooters, they all have clip slots, making reloading with a clip a snap. Plus, they are, as a rule, exceptionally accurate.

This is my much altered and greatly treasured target rifle, based on a pre-War Model 70 action,
Model 70's 007 (2).jpg

A post-War Model 70 in .300 H&H has served me equally reliably on three trips to Africa and has after a total of eleven weeks in the field accounted for enough plains game to keep the safari crew plentifully supplied with meat and me plentifully supplied with trophies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HudsonKauf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.