Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
So I am finishing up my 458, and I have Leupold QD scope bases and rings for it. Has anyone used these on a 458 Win Mag? Do they hold up and/or provide enough purchase on the scope so that it doesn't move? Any experience would be appreciated.
Screenshot_20231215_181508_Gallery.jpg

I hate to tell you this but I would not use the QR system on a heavy rifle. The Leupold QRW system is much stronger, but having used all of them, I highly recommend Talley.

I’m in for the information on QD rings, seems like stuff is on back order for my 375 ruger, leupold would be a nice alternative

I’m in for the information on QD rings, seems like stuff is on back order for my 375 ruger, leupold would be a nice alternative
I think most QD rings will be find on a .375 unless its a Weatherby. Warne makes a QD mount for Ruger rifles. Is that what the rifle is?

I hate to tell you this but I would not use the QR system on a heavy rifle. The Leupold QRW system is much stronger, but having used all of them, I highly recommend Talley.
Well I'd rather sell them as new than destroy them with the recoil and leave them onlybuseful for paperweights. Thank you! The QRW appear to be the Warne style for weaver rails?

I have them on a Kimber Talkeetna with app.5/600 rounds down the barrel. No problems and I have removed the scope a few times.
Will say tho they do seem light for a 458 but that is an opinion based on no experience.

Other than the Blaser design for Blaser rifles, the only commercially produced QD rings that I trust are Talley, Alaska Arms, and Recknagel. The only thing that I would trust less than the Leupold design would be Weaver. Talley are easily acquired, installed, and used. I have never had an issue with them on a heavy rifle.

I also think quality ones are essential on a scoped heavy rifle. It is unlikely that you will ever want to remove a scope for a follow-up on a whitetail. It is quite likely you may wish to do so on a buffalo or leopard.

I wouldn't feel confident in the Leupold single screw design on a heavy rifle. As stated by others there are much better options from Talley and Alaska Arms for use on a DG hunt.

Take a look at where the QD levers are on these designs. Some people like them on a certain side of the action for one reason or another.

I've had them on my .375 for over 25 years with no issues. 458 I cannot personally speak to.

Other than the Blaser design for Blaser rifles, the only commercially produced QD rings that I trust are Talley, Alaska Arms, and Recknagel. The only thing that I would trust less than the Leupold design would be Weaver. Talley are easily acquired, installed, and used. I have never had an issue with them on a heavy rifle.

I also think quality ones are essential on a scoped heavy rifle. It is unlikely that you will ever want to remove a scope for a follow-up on a whitetail. It is quite likely you may wish to do so on a buffalo or leopard.
Yes sir. I have used Alaska Arms and EAW/Recknagel on the big boomers and never an issue.

Never had an issue with the Leupold QR rings and bases. Have them on numerous "normal" caliber rifles and they absolutely return to zero as well as the Talleys on my CZs. The heaviest recoil I've subjected them to is on a hot loaded 45-70 Contender that yields around 50+ ft/lbs of recoil. Not a ton of rounds through it, but no issues with return to zero or failure in any other form.
My only gripe with the Leupold QR system is the fairly small lever. They can be hard to release sometimes without an assist with a Leatherman; but I've had to do the same with Warnes or Talleys.

I had them on my TD Winchester (Custom Made) the first of the new claw type back in the 90's in .300WM & .458WM, they were Ok so so on the 300Win but not up to the .458Win, nice looking & look good on a classy rifle but too weak with a too tiny lever.

I use the Leupold QRW on a plastic stocked .458Win work rifle & they have work great but don't look Classy at all !

So on that TD rifle I had take off scopes & take off barrels, it wasn't a tack driver, 1.5X5 VXIII Leupold on the .458Win & 3.5X10 VXIII Leupold on the .300Win.

Thanks for all the replies everybody! At this point, I will probably go with Talley QD rings and bases for the gun and sell those Leupolds.

Thanks again

Something else to consider;
A large scope requires stronger mounts to overcome its inertia. Under recoil, inertia tries to keep the scope in its original position. This is why the scope creeps forward after every shot, if the rings aren't up to the task.
A small 1.5 to 4 x variable with 26mm tube may not require the same rings as a 2.5 to 8 x variable with a 30mm tube.

If they are the QD mounts with a stud coming down from the rings, I had a stud fail on a much smaller caliber. I am not sure it was due to recoil as it was a used rifle and the someone may have over tightened the locking lever. Either way, i decided I would not use the Leupold QD mount/rings that have the about quarter inch stud on bottom of the rings.

Thanks for all the replies everybody! At this point, I will probably go with Talley QD rings and bases for the gun and sell those Leupolds.

Thanks again
I have the Talleys on my .458, you will like them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hattie05G

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.