Importing Finished Taxidermy from RSA to Canada Info Needed

gps

Reaction score
Media
I got the call that my stuff is all done (finished taxidermy) in RSA and is ready to be shipped to Toronto. I have decided to clear the trophies on my own to save a few bucks and am looking for info from those who have done this. I have 6 tanned flatskins (kudu, blue wildebeest, blesbuck, springbuck, impala & zebra) and 5 euro skulls w/ horns (kudu, black wildebeest, springbuck, impala & warthog).

What forms did you need from your taxidermist?
What forms did you need to fill out for Customs here?
Did you pay duties or taxes?
Anything else you found out the hard way that you could share?

The Canada Customs website is a mind-numbing labyrinth. I'll head over to their office on Front St. on Monday to inquire there but would like the benefit of some firsthand experience to back up what they tell me.

Thanks in advance, gents.

gps, I cannot really help you with this other than provide you with some useful links. Once you have gone through the process yourself perhaps you can share your experience here for future reference.

Canada - Permits & Importation Procedures for Sport Hunted Trophies

Canada Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES)
CITES is an international agreement to regulate trade in specific species of wild animals and plants, as well as their respective parts and derivatives, www.cites.ec.gc.ca.

Environment Canada
Environment Canada is the lead agency responsible for CITES implementation in Canada, www.ec.gc.ca.

The Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act (WAPPRIITA)
WAPPRIITA is the legislation used to implement CITES in Canada and by which Canada meets its obligations under CITES, Wild Animal and Plant Trade Regulations.

Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS)
CWS agency handles wildlife matters that are the responsibility of the federal government. This includes the protection and management of migratory birds and nationally important wildlife habitat, endangered species, research on nationally important wildlife issues, control of international trade in endangered species, and international treaties, www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88bvnme

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.