Ideas for small cats wanted

Agrarler

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Dear all,

Finally my trophies from last year’s safari in Zimbabwe are on the way to my taxidermist. The parcel includes some small cats (serval, Civit, wildcat and a porcupine).
Now I’m looking for ideas how to mount them. I’m not sure if I should arrange them standing on the floor or hanging on the wall, or ?…
Please share your ideas, photos and inspirations.
Looking forward to it!

I had my Caracal mounted in a laying down position. I looked around for the right piece of wood. I came across a piece of driftwood, put a couple of brackets on the back of the wood, and a couple of screws into the cat & wood, and hung it in a corner of my den.

Caracal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my Caracal mounted in a laying down position. I looked around for the right piece of wood. I came across a piece of driftwood, put a couple of brackets on the back of the wood, and a couple of screws into the cat & wood, and hung it in a corner of my den.
Cats are the most difficult animals to mount correctly. There is a lot of work out there bad enough to terrify small children. :oops: Make sure this is a specialty with which your taxidermist has total confidence and familiarity. Critter Creations in Pennsylvania did my leopard years ago and were superb. These are some of their small cat examples from their site showing what can be done by a master taxidermist.
cat2.jpg

cat4.jpg

cat.jpg

Dear all,

Finally my trophies from last year’s safari in Zimbabwe are on the way to my taxidermist. The parcel includes some small cats (serval, Civit, wildcat and a porcupine).
Now I’m looking for ideas how to mount them. I’m not sure if I should arrange them standing on the floor or hanging on the wall, or ?…
Please share your ideas, photos and inspirations.
Looking forward to it!
I put the same thought into my Bobcat mount and decided on a circular table, on wheels, about 30” high and 24” diameter. Can easily move the table anywhere in the house and it even tucks into a corner to save space. The cat is standing & walking up a tree limb at a 45 degree angle. Shows off the Cats markings very well (Cat was from Texas and well spotted sides & belly). For my 2 Lynx - choose a wall mount, one is walking down a “rock w/snow” and the other “lying down on a limb”. The wall mounts save floor space and as my taxidermy increases - that’s helpful.
Lastly, put a lot of care into selecting a Taxidermist for Cats - I think they are one of the hardest mammals to mount and look “lifelike”, so many cat mounts I’ve seen have a “stiff or crazy-eyed” look to them. I used Kanati in PA and was pleased but sure there are many others that AH members could recommend.

As others have said find someone that specializes in cats, I’ve also seen some small animals that were appalling. As far as poses go maybe a combo mount with the porcupine and serval in a stand off or try and get a Guineafowl skin and have him jumping after it as they do so well.

Can you import porcupines? I was thinking they were a no go into the US because of some disease risk?

Cats are the most difficult animals to mount correctly. There is a lot of work out there bad enough to terrify small children. :oops: Make sure this is a specialty with which your taxidermist has total confidence and familiarity. Critter Creations in Pennsylvania did my leopard years ago and were superb. These are some of their small cat examples from their site showing what can be done by a master taxidermist.
View attachment 552000
View attachment 552002
View attachment 552003

Beautiful mounts!

Thank you for your suggestions. I would really be happy to see some more pics.
I like the idea of bringing 2 of the animals together like Hunt anything mentioned!

Small cats are difficult and very few taxidermy can do it right...
I would mount flatskins and sculls seperate. Flat skin on the wall and scull on a nice piece of wood

Small-spotted genet
IMG_2040.JPG

Porcupine mounted on a wall-hanging base.
porcupine mount.JPG

Civet cat flat skin
civet.jpg

I looked into importing a porcupine or just porcupine quills. The importer told me that porcupine and other “rodents” must be fully mounted or finish rugged to be imported. I did not dig into this any further to verify, just lost interest in hunting them.
100% agree if you get a cat or small mammal mounted to use someone who specializes in them! Phil Soucy or Tracy Jacobsen or Dean Schulte in the west would get my votes but there are others

I think they display best at eye level, as long as taxidermy is good (@Red Leg pics from Critter Creations look excellent/amazing), therefore when mine arrive civet will be on wall base covered with sand, same for serval, genets are mostly boreal, so a nice branch should look best for them.

This lower than shoulder mount wall space is also more available in my room, and they do not protrude off wall enough to get hit/knocked.

As for multiple species on same habitat, they look good but I have never done one. They do get big quick if space is of concern.

These "not normal" safari animals really add to a memory room in my eyes.

Good luck.

MB

View attachment 552000
View attachment 552002
View attachment 552003
Those are by far some the best looking and most realistic cat mounts I have ever seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaida88net

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.