Hunt in Zimbabwe and Taxidermy in South Africa?

Since I will be on my first safari next year I have been trying to absorb everything here like a new sponge. You said the insurance is almost worthless unless there is major damage. Should I forgo the insurance cost on my trophies next year?
Really tough question, I usually buy it in case of a total disaster but the deductible is so high that it washes out any reason to put a claim in. I have had a wildebeest ear tip broken, they were not interested in replacing the cape because let's face it you can paint and do whatever but it doesn't look right. What are they going to do if your bushbuck or nyala has a rub spot on the neck from shipping and it's bare to the hide ( size of a half dollar and white). The only thing you can do is try to cover it up with paint..etc. It's a slippery slope, no right or wrong answer.
I never thought the airlines would destroy a brand new gun case because I don't travel much but they did, they are replacing though.

Really tough question, I usually buy it in case of a total disaster but the deductible is so high that it washes out any reason to put a claim in. I have had a wildebeest ear tip broken, they were not interested in replacing the cape because let's face it you can paint and do whatever but it doesn't look right. What are they going to do if your bushbuck or nyala has a rub spot on the neck from shipping and it's bare to the hide ( size of a half dollar and white). The only thing you can do is try to cover it up with paint..etc. It's a slippery slope, no right or wrong answer.
I never thought the airlines would destroy a brand new gun case because I don't travel much but they did, they are replacing though.
I guess if the deductibles are high it does not pay. Guess the taxidermist needs to really crate well.

I personally will get the insurance and plan for a doomsday scenario, but like with all insurance it won't pay off in the long run really, but if you need it....

Like enysse said, tough question!

I will say, how some crates your animals makes a big difference. Frankly I would have been willing to pay for a bigger crate, so no animals were next to any structure that could have ruined it. I do find it disturbing in 4 shipments only 2 were done right? I honestly couldn't risk the odds this last time. Dip and ship! I had to pay for dip and ship it cost more overall...because you can just have it mounted to get it out of Africa. So there is savings there but in the long run my sable is coming home in one piece and being mounted here in the USA where there are less things that can go wrong.

I will say, how some crates your animals makes a big difference. Frankly I would have been willing to pay for a bigger crate, so no animals were next to any structure that could have ruined it. I do find it disturbing in 4 shipments only 2 were done right? I honestly couldn't risk the odds this last time. Dip and ship! I had to pay for dip and ship it cost more overall...because you can just have it mounted to get it out of Africa. So there is savings there but in the long run my sable is coming home in one piece and being mounted here in the USA where there are less things that can go wrong.

I've talked to several folks who do this - most taxi work done in Africa, and once in a lifetime stuff done in the states.

The sable is a great trophy, hard to replace. I also realize there is a compromise in having stuff done in Africa. It cost less but the work is not as good overall. The eland on this post on page one, does not look right to me. Maybe me being picky, but it's not great taxidermy work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiamhBlomf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!