How do you haul your game out?

For large animals in difficult places (e.g. kudu), a "sail" is often used. It's a piece of heavy truck tarp about 4'x8' with handles sewn onto the edge of long sides at both ends and in middle. The gutted animal is folded in the sail and carried out with a farmhand/tracker/PH at each handle. If it's a long haul, poles are threaded through handles and animal carried on shoulders of four guys at each corner. Last year my PH, tracker, and two farmhands carried this black wildebeest more than two miles over very broken ground in a sail.
View attachment 562145

Yes I have a 3m x 2m tarpaulin with handles as well. 8 people can carry a large animal on that. The handles are stitched through the entire length and width of the tarp to strengthen it. On some properties it is easy to het 8 farm labourers and for two hours carry they each get R100 and a coke. That beats cutting up an animal or damaging your vehicle.

One of the things I like about Africa is no quads or SxS running all over the place. Well, not yet anyway. I'll sell my guns and take up knitting before I go that route.

I once hauled a gutted deer inside a Nissan Pathfinder. Would you believe the fleas that abandoned the still cooling deer attacked me with a vengeance and infested the vehicle for a while? Later, I added a hitch haul, but found that if I didn't wrap the deer first in a tarp, it was heavily coated with the road dust boiling up behind the vehicle, making a mess of a different nature. Pickups--sure, IF you can lift the deer that high. Not counting panniers on a horse, how do you all haul out your deer?
For deer I “like” to drag them out myself, always liked the feeeling of “accomplishment” that gave me and reminds me of my First buck (spike in PA) 40 years ago - dragged it almost 1/2 a mile to my car and smiled all the way. Made my Son drag out his first 2 bucks by himself also and he was only 15 with a big 8 pointer....he wanted help but later told me he appreciated me making him do it by himself. I’m older now and still like to put some “effort” into my hunts and a drag of a few 100 yrds then load-by-myself into the pickup bed fulfills my need for “effort”. For bear - that’s tougher because I’ve found dragging them like dragging “Velcro”, then getting even a 150 pounder onto an ATV or into pick up is another wrestling match, almost looks like a fight with a big chimp. For Elk - I’ve always had a Guide and “accept” his help....

My first fallow deer I was able to drive up to it but lifting it onto the back of a LandCruiser was the hard part.

In Africa the tracker and Skinner's carried a Kudu down the hill on a pole. Their reward was a part of the guts they kept for themselves.

I've had others that we drove up to and a 2 person lift was easy to get it on a lower traytop.

The last deer I shot I gutted and tried dragging it and 2 of us tried dragging it getting in each other's way and then @Badboymelvin dragged it while I carried out the other stuff to the road. Thanks Russ.
So far the easiest method has been using a tracker and Skinner's keeping jobs going in the hunting industry.

Depends on location. When I can, I drive my truck or Polaris Sportsman 570 right up to em and load up. When that isn't an option, I've dragged, packed out in quarters/pieces, carried out whole or gutted, and recruited helpers.

I try to just load them on my kid....
1696876053465.jpeg

I once hauled a gutted deer inside a Nissan Pathfinder. Would you believe the fleas that abandoned the still cooling deer attacked me with a vengeance and infested the vehicle for a while? Later, I added a hitch haul, but found that if I didn't wrap the deer first in a tarp, it was heavily coated with the road dust boiling up behind the vehicle, making a mess of a different nature. Pickups--sure, IF you can lift the deer that high. Not counting panniers on a horse, how do you all haul out your deer?
I always used my ATV, dragged to my skinning post at my farm, field dressed him then butchered him myself given I do not accept even one piece of deer fat on the meat

I like this thread. Here’s a few more pics:
The wife’s mulie way back in the hills in 2020.
IMG_4441.jpeg

My Dad’s 2019 moose that i described rolling up on the hay bale.
IMG_3331.jpeg

My 2018 moose that my buddy and I pulled into the back of my truck on a sheet of wood with puckboard to help it slide better.
IMG_2051.jpeg

A whitetail from deep in the bush with my little Yamaha.
IMG_1633.png

Same Yamaha with a young Ragman back in 2005!
IMG_0068.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thetrooper

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg