Help please - Insights on .223 Rem

OJ44

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone regularly hunted with a .223 Rem in SA/Nam/Bots and used it for Springbuck/Impala/Blesbok/Vlakvark? If you have, I'd appreciate any insights on ammo, distances, shot placement etc. Thank you!

Hi all,

Has anyone regularly hunted with a .223 Rem in SA/Nam/Bots and used it for Springbuck/Impala/Blesbok/Vlakvark? If you have, I'd appreciate any insights on ammo, distances, shot placement etc. Thank you!
Yes. 70g Barnes TSX will do the trick on many animals in the right situation. I have hunted the tinies, predators, and culling for springbuck with my .223-5.56.

Yes. 70g Barnes TSX will do the trick on many animals in the right situation. I have hunted the tinies, predators, and culling for springbuck with my .223-5.56.
What rate of twist to stabilize the 70 grain TSX?

We picked up some 22 Cal Nosler 64gr Bonded Solid Base bullets recently. They use the Accubond technology and some folks use them for small game.

We'll list about 10K more later this week. Currently down to a few quantity of (250) ct left for $87.95 each. About 35 cents each.

I use the .223/5.56 here in the U.S. for whitetail deer sized and down pretty frequently. I’ve killed axis deer, hogs, Catalina goats, whitetails, lots of coyotes. No complaints from me. 63gr absolute hammer bullets at 3030fps have been pretty deadly for me. Furthest anything has made it is maybe 50 yards. Shot placement is pretty important and a nice broadside shot into the lungs will take care of business quickly as will headshots. I have not hunted Africa yet (waiting not so patiently for my trip next year). I’m not taking a .223. But I don’t think I’d hesitate to use it on a springbuck especially inside about 200yards. Further than 200 yards there are better choices.

I agree with @Elkeater . I’ve killed more than a few white tails with .223/5.56. From 100-150 pounds. I think bullet selection is the main thing. I use 65 grain gamekings and TSX’s. The farthest shot I’ve taken was 236 yds broadside with a tsx on a 100 pound doe, both lungs and exit, went about 30yds.

As "Elk eater says shot placement is pretty important." I believe the 223 is ok for game under 50 kg. Anything over, it is marginal at best. 60 kg and over starts at 25 caliber and goes up from there. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. The game deserves better.

62gr needs a 1-9
For sure! Those little greenies land sideways at 25 yards in my Colt SP1 with 1-12 twist!
My 9 twist Armalite M15A2 likes just about everything. Best shooting bullet for me has been the Hornady 60 gr V Max, shoots lights out.

Most of the rifles I build I use a 1-8” twist barrels. They’ll stabilize all of the “normal” .223/5.56 bullets up to 75/77 grain match bullets.

The 64 gr nosler solid base is a tough little bullet. I had a hard time getting it to be accurate but finally found a sweet spot with varget powder.
On gunbroker you can get 62 gr tbbc pulls which worked well for me over accurate 2230 powder.
My favorite hunting bullet is the 65 gr gameking which I load over H335.
These bullets have only been used on die pronghorn antelope and coyotes. Bigger game I use a bigger caliber and bullets to match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrigitteCo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.