Headache time!

Hammer time!!!!

You might already know but I thought I'd share a bit of information regarding this. Often(especially at the end of winter) one can see giraffe eating bones. This phenomenon is called "osteophagy" and it supplements calcium whish is in turned used to fortify the skull. Lumps are visible on older bulls skulls and these consists out of calcium that makes the head heavier to pack a bigger blow. Serious fights like this one can last up to 20 min and sometimes result in death.

a Ranger in Kruger National park once found a dead giraffe bull and on closer inspection found that the top vertebra was splintered and a fraction of it pierced the spinal column. Another incident happened in a zoo in Frankfurt, a giraffe bull was sharing an enclosure with an eland and the giraffe broke the elands shoulder with a blow to the body, the eland had to be put down.

Giraffe are not aggressive animals but can sometimes be dangerous, in South Africa recently there was an attack on a human that made the headlines!

Great video, thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
$pyker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.