Has Sako stopped producing their big bore ammo?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I know that Sako had been producing Sako branded 416 Rigby, 450 Rigby and 500 Jeffery ammo.

Were these discontinued when the Sako 85 was discontinued?

I've been on the hunt for quality partitions for my 416 Rigby and the Sako ammo is the only option that I've seen loaded with Swift A Frames.

Yes. Now, they only manufacture a 260Gr monolithic expanding factory load for the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. I checked their website this morning for the exact same reason, coincidentally.

O man, bad news after bad news.

First CZ 550 gets phased out. Safari world was shocked.

Then Sako 85 gets phased out (and entire line of Sako 85 big bore calibers)
Next, Sako big bore ammo gets phased out.

So, now: They are producing 375 HH ammo, just because they have new Sako 90, in that caliber?

Most probably, new marketing policy from berreta, who just happens to own Holland and Holland and Sako in the same time.
Another push of blue collars from dangerous game rifle and ammunition market.

So, now: They are producing 375 HH ammo, just because they have new Sako 90, in that caliber?

Most probably, new marketing policy from berreta, who just happens to own Holland and Holland and Sako in the same time.
And Norma now uses round nosed monolithic solids for their big bore caliber factory loaded ammunition, as opposed to their previous (and more efficient) flat nosed monolithic solids.

I feel like I stumbled down this big bore/dangerous game rifle rabbit hole at the wrong time.

I've made similar posts relating to this before but it seems like Ruger M77s and Winchester Model 70s are all that's left today at an affordable price point.

Other than the 375HH, there are no other classic dangerous game cartridges available in affordable packages following the discontinuation of both the CZ550 and Sako 85 product lines.

Want a new 416 Rigby or 505 Gibbs rifle today? Looking at $10,000+ Heyms, ParkWest Arms etc.

Looks like the thinning of the ammo selection is in response to the limited mass produced rifles available today in these cartridges.

Thank god for Barnes and Hornady, they continue to be readily available, for now.

Last edited:
This is true. I am under the same impression.
Dangerous game rifle choice is becoming ever more difficult subject for safari aficionados on a budget.

Does anyone have a thought about Mr. Sundles 500's?
Thank you.

Attachments

• 500 JEFFREY.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
@Daniel Cary Since I reload for my 500 I hadn't given thought to the Buffalo Bore option, His load should be a hammer on what ever you shoot with it. I like the look of the Custom 500 by Duane Wiebe!

+1 on hand loading for yourself. I think everyone should. You truly find your shooting more rewarding when you make your own rounds
Reloading is definately on my short list for 2024.

I've dropped well over $10,000 on 375HH, 458 WinMag (600+ rounds) and 416 ammo over the last 2 years.

That is unfortunately. The Norma 450gr were the only factory loads that I was aware of that deviated from the standard 400gr loads.

I'm surprised there aren't more factory loadings for the 416 cal.

Reloading is definately on my short list for 2024.

I've dropped well over $10,000 on 375HH, 458 WinMag (600+ rounds) and 416 ammo over the last 2 years.
still .. I believe that's a good investment. I've been anticipating some kind of hault, or difficulty in availability.

To add to this worrying trend, I just visited the Barnes website and noticed that their entire Safari line of ammunition from 375HH to 500NE are all showing Out of Stock.

Hopefully this is just the result of them being between production runs and aren't discontinuing this product line.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buyproductboxesuk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.