Guide rifle recommendations

I’m a guide in the Lower 48 since 1991 and also in Alaska for brown bears since 2006. I believe you are overthinking this a bit.

For the polar bear hunts, take the 458 Winchester with bullets from 400 to 500 grains, such as Swift A-Frame or Barnes TSX.

For the moose, sheep, black bear, etc… take either the 9.3 or the 375 with 270 to 300 grain bullets.

Solids have no place up north. Bears are thin skinned. Good luck on your hunts!

I’m a guide in the Lower 48 since 1991 and also in Alaska for brown bears since 2006. I believe you are overthinking this a bit.

For the polar bear hunts, take the 458 Winchester with bullets from 400 to 500 grains, such as Swift A-Frame or Barnes TSX.

For the moose, sheep, black bear, etc… take either the 9.3 or the 375 with 270 to 300 grain bullets.

Solids have no place up north. Bears are thin skinned. Good luck on your hunts!
Definitely overthinking. Been in a remote work camp since mid November working nights shifts, dont have much to do but read things on the internet and overthink. Appreciate the advice! Same to you good luck hunting!

"Sounds as though you might know more than most already."

I second that. My vote would be for a 375 shooting factory 300g A-Frames. More than enough for anything in North America, shoots flat enough to take game at 300 yards as well.

Garret says you can shoot the hammerheads in the 1886, the Perdesoli handles them, and the ones that don't, it is just a small adjustment to the throat they require. It is probably just a meplat issue. The frontal area has got so large on currently popular bullets, they spread into the rifling on some throats.
Oh, and the 45-90, will for sure shoot the Hammerheads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New88Ceo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani