Forget Cape Buffalo when we have these monsters at home

Father in law got one last year. Very few wild bison hunted, most are estate hunts. Meat is actually terrible. Tough as nails so everything is ground . Tastes nothing like bison from the store
Apparently, the bison you ate either wasn’t properly cared for or was poor eating for some unusual reason.
I’ve shot several bison, the first a very old bull for the wall. Yes, it was very tough, but the flavor was good. Note: The several very old elk I’ve shot were the same, tough as hell.

I’ve shot a couple young bison too for the meat and they are perhaps the best wild game in North America. Biggest problem I had was friends calling and asking for more after they enjoyed a package or two. The meat was as tender as deer or elk and the flavor very good.

Amongst the wild bovine that I’ve successfully hunted over the years (till now), my own modest bag consists of:
- 21 African Cape buffalo
- 1 Asian Gaur (random encounter during the war in 1971)
- 46 Water buffalo (Asian & Australian)
- 1 Thai Seladang
- 1 American bison

I have more photographs which I‘ll get my hands on very soon, but here are some of them over the years.
IMG_1794.jpeg
IMG_1795.jpeg
IMG_1789.jpeg
IMG_1356.jpeg
IMG_1355.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg
IMG_1353.jpeg
IMG_1530.jpeg
IMG_1807.jpeg
IMG_2716.jpeg

IMG_2519.jpeg
IMG_2520.jpeg
IMG_2533.jpeg
IMG_2534.jpeg

IMG_1351.jpeg

I shot the American bison with a .505 Gibbs (built on a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action with a 25” Douglas Premium by the talented Joe Smithson). The round was a hand loaded 600Gr Northfork Cup Point Solid. He gave out within a second of getting the shot (a behind-the-shoulder heart shot).

Wild American bison are incredibly lean compared to their domesticated counterparts. And cooking them like beef (or even domesticated) will culminate in an extremely unpleasant culinary experience. Things to remember:
- Go for an quick dispatch shot, such as a brain shot or a heart shot (taking care to employ a large caliber heavy-for-weight controlled expansion bullet for the latter) or else adrenaline will degrade the meat quality.
- Grind the meat for some excellent hamburgers, meatballs, Koobideh, meat pies, sausages, etc.
- Whole muscle cuts should always be either run through a meat tenderizer (such as is done for chicken fried steaks) or braised (such as is done for pot roasts) or sliced very thin (as is done for Carne Asada tacos) or tenderized with papaya (as is done for Bengali Chaaps).

Out of all the wild bovines that I have hunted till now, my scariest experience was with the Seladang in Chengmai (Thailand) in 1978. But perhaps this was only because I had gone after him with a .30-06 Springfield caliber rifle.
IMG_2716.jpeg

Oh, and by the way… bovines get maddened at the sight & smell of blood and will even savagely attack members of their own herd who are wounded and visibly showing blood. This phenomenon is known as ”Ringing”. This is why Spanish Matadors in bull fighting arenas use red silk cloths in or order to provoke the bulls.

When the American frontiersmen were commercially downing American bison for their tongues in the late 1800s, they managed to exploit this phenomenon by wounding members of bison herds with lung shots from their .45-90 caliber Sharps Model 1874 & 1877 rifles. Within a few seconds of the wounded bovines coughing up frothy blood, the remaining members of the herd would go mad and commerce wantonly attacking each other. The shooters would then down the survivors with a few additional follow up shots. It was an extremely cruel but highly efficient practice.

My men and I personally employed this technique in 1980 during the feral water buffalo culls in the island of Lotar Char above the Bay of Bengal (when local residents were constantly complaining to the Ministry of Forests about constant attacks from the rancidly growing populations of feral water buffalo on the island). Equipment employed were government issue Lee Enfields in .303 British (with army surplus 174Gr spitzer tipped copper jacketed military ball). I am a completely unrepentant hunter, but I always felt extremely guilty about taking down those water buffalo in such a cruel and inhumane manner. But an order is an order and the value of human lives (i.e the local residents) far outweighed the ethics of killing the water buffalo by “Ringing”.

This tactic was also used during the Cape buffalo eradication culls in Western Zimbabwe during the 1980s. The rangers were using the service FN FAL in .308 Winchester (with army surplus 147Gr spitzer tipped copper jacketed military ball).

Last edited:
Bison are usually only dangerous when crowding a cow with a calf. Or in the summer during the Rut. July ish.

I used to raise Bison and those were the only situations when I found them to be dangerous. Similar to domestic beef cattle. But they are very curious and fairly intelligent.

Hunting fair chase bison is very challenging. More a spot and stalk hunt.

Cape Buffalo is a whole different hunt. Tracking, finding the right bull and getting in and then flanking herds or several animals.
They have more of an attitude than Bison. And seem to be crafty when pressured.
That has been my experience as well. I have killed two cape buffalo and one of them was bent on getting even before I broke his neck. I don't have any experience with wild bison, but I did have to deal with some "tame" ones that could get ornery. One cow in particular was truly vicious and I believe she would have killed me if I had given her a chance. I wanted to shoot her, but she jumped the seven foot fence and was killed on a neighboring property. I don't know if you could classify them as dangerous game, but I sure don't trust them.

One of my brothers was nearly killed by a Charlois bull, another was nearly thrashed by a Hereford cow.
A friend was nearly killed by a cow moose.
Don't trust anything that outweighs you by 1000-1500 lb.

People have been killed/ injured by whitetail, but that doesn't make people consider them Dangerous Game.
well if you compare bison to whitetail not that much i can say lol but i do not have any experiences with the little deer ...

One of my brothers was nearly killed by a Charlois bull, another was nearly thrashed by a Hereford cow.
A friend was nearly killed by a cow moose.
Don't trust anything that outweighs you by 1000-1500 lb.
my family raised charolais and was not authorized to stay around bull ... your last sentence sum up the bison experience ...

For those of you that may be dreaming of your first (or next) cape Buffalo hunt, have you ever hunted one of the North American Bison?

This is a bucket list hunt of mine in Canada however apparently drawing a tag is quite the challenge.

Have you ever successfully hunted a bison? How did it go?
Well, a friend of mine finally got his tag last year after 20 years. I am not willing to wait that long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadiamahi

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.