First time hunt advice

Kkon, I've scheduled my first African hunt for next June, and my trophy wish list is much like yours. After doing a lot of internet research, my wife and I decided to do the kind of mixed-hunting-sightseeing trip you describe.

After the nearly two-day-long flight from Anchorage to S. Africa, we're going to take two nights to recuperate and do whatever there is to do in the town of Port Elizabeth. Then we're going on a weeklong hunt in the Eastern Cape, where I'll be hunting kudu, nyala, gemsbok, and maybe vaal rhebok if I have time.

We'll next fly to Livingstone, Zambia, to be picked up by another outfitter to take us by road to their camp near Kafue National Park to hunt buffalo and sable. The Zambian hunting is near several native villages. Supposedly, when you shoot a buffalo the villagers show up and do a ritual song and dance to celebrate the kill. The village chief gets the meat to distribute as he sees fit.

After the Zambian hunt, we'll spend three nights in Livingstone to visit the Victoria Falls and do stuff around there. Tiger fishing is on my list, if they're biting.

I hesitated to post this, because it's only based on what I've heard from the outfitters and their references, not an actual trip of my own. I don't want to post the outfitters' names (though I would give them to you by PM) because I have no personal experience with either, and am keeping my fingers crossed for next June.

Sounds like a fantastic safari Roland! If you're interested in History, PE has some small local museums we found interesting. The port is worth seeing. And a nice drive up the Coast is scenic. Might check out the Penguin tour. We both hired a tour guide (well worth a day) and then rented a car and drove ourselves around. A guide can take you into the township and explain the history.

You're going to have a great time!

Kkon, I've scheduled my first African hunt for next June, and my trophy wish list is much like yours. After doing a lot of internet research, my wife and I decided to do the kind of mixed-hunting-sightseeing trip you describe.

After the nearly two-day-long flight from Anchorage to S. Africa, we're going to take two nights to recuperate and do whatever there is to do in the town of Port Elizabeth. Then we're going on a weeklong hunt in the Eastern Cape, where I'll be hunting kudu, nyala, gemsbok, and maybe vaal rhebok if I have time.

We'll next fly to Livingstone, Zambia, to be picked up by another outfitter to take us by road to their camp near Kafue National Park to hunt buffalo and sable. The Zambian hunting is near several native villages. Supposedly, when you shoot a buffalo the villagers show up and do a ritual song and dance to celebrate the kill. The village chief gets the meat to distribute as he sees fit.

After the Zambian hunt, we'll spend three nights in Livingstone to visit the Victoria Falls and do stuff around there. Tiger fishing is on my list, if they're biting.

I hesitated to post this, because it's only based on what I've heard from the outfitters and their references, not an actual trip of my own. I don't want to post the outfitters' names (though I would give them to you by PM) because I have no personal experience with either, and am keeping my fingers crossed for next June.
Rolandtheheadless, thank you for the post. I'm not to proud to use you research. Could you please PM me with all of the information regarding your two hunt locations. I would very much appreciate that.
Best Regards,
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfredoYua

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.