Federal Premium Ammo Production

chashardy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
If you haven't seen it yet, the CEO of Federal Premium has posted a youtube video explaining that their factories are making as much ammo of all calibers as they can make, but demand is outstripping supply. I'm not tech savvy enough to post the link to the video, but maybe someone who know how can post it on AH.

It would appear that ammo manufacturing CEO's are getting tired of the bullshit (cant really blame them) and are going to social media in an attempt to quell some of the ridiculousness that some (many) consumers are spewing....

While an inconvenience.. a lack of ammo on the shelves for a short while should actually be seen as a GOOD thing IMO... it means there are A LOT of new shooters out there.. and that the 2A is likely safe again for a little while as shooting sports increase in popularity (for whatever reason/motivation that causes it).. It also means that manufacturers are fortifying supply chains, adding machinery, and hiring more people so that they can obtain and/or maintain a higher output over a prolonged period of time.. (all good things for the economy as well as for gun owners in the US)..

Not sure if there’s any truth to the matter but I have a friend that works in admin for one of the manufacturing companies...he said that they are making more ammunition than they ever have before but the reasons that we were seeing any on the shelves is he heard from another admin there that the distributors that by the ammunition from the manufacturers and then sell it to the individual stores for placement on their shelves have been purchasing all of the ammunition and stockpiling not selling it to the stores to drive up prices before they eventually sell out. Wish there was a way to find that out for sure.

While an inconvenience.. a lack of ammo on the shelves for a short while should actually be seen as a GOOD thing IMO... it means there are A LOT of new shooters out there.. and that the 2A is likely safe again for a little while as shooting sports increase in popularity (for whatever reason/motivation that causes it).. It also means that manufacturers are fortifying supply chains, adding machinery, and hiring more people so that they can obtain and/or maintain a higher output over a prolonged period of time.. (all good things for the economy as well as for gun owners in the US)..

I don't know if it is really new shooters or hoarders. I know a couple of shooters who picked up a couple of pallets of pistol ammo each back last April when they saw it. If I am correct a pallet holds around 10,000 rounds. And while I don't have a big problem with them buying it I do have a problem when they try to sell it to someone at 100x the cost of it in the first place.

New shooters usually purchase a few boxes of ammo, shoot one and have the others sitting on a shelf.

Doubtful "new shooters" would have any idea about the previous shortages. Most likely simultaneous hoarding to one degree or another. There are already a lot of shooters/reloaders out there and most of them remember the previous shortage and outage. Plus this election has really made those who are paying attention to anything besides some fanless faux sports event to sit up and take notice!

It's a multi pronged situation: Military contracts, politics creating multitudes of new shooters, riots and civil unrest causing people to stockpile, reloaders laying in whatever we can find. Call it preparation for future calamities, hoarding, replenishing supplies, whatever. It is a problem without an easy solution in the forseeable future.

I can understand the shortages. Too much demand and not enough supply--for now. Hopefully it will even out soon and components and loaded ammo will start showing up. It is frustrating. I have had small pistol primers on order since March, all rifle and pistol components with no source available. All out of stock and most not available through backorder. I reckon patience and limited shooting is the watchword for now.

At the minimum I try and keep at least 1000 primers of each variety that I use. When I break into that box I try and replace it before it gets half used.

On powder I try to only buy 5 or 8 lb jugs of it, and work it the same way as I do primers.

Bullets I buy them when I see them.

I learned my lesson back when Clinton was elected and you couldn't find components anywhere. Then when Obama took office I had enough to weather his 8 years but purchased items when I saw them.

Right now I may have enough to last me for quite a while. That is unless I purchase a new rifle or pistol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmbroseaDus

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg