DIY Australia?? Is it possible for an American?

Rcarlson375

Reaction score
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Vanuatu
Howdy friends!

Was hoping someone might be able to answer some of my questions...

Is there any opportunity to hunt public/crown land in Aus for free?

Can nonresidents get a firearm permit if they're not going to be hunting with an outfitter?

Last year at SCI I talked to an outfitter wanting 18K to hunt buffalo. While I'd love to do it, just not in that tax bracket (yet). What I could do is rent a land cruiser for a month and figure something out DIY style. Anyone have thoughts on my idea??

Cheers, Reed

Firearm permits and hunting permits are things legislated by each of the States (a bit like the difference between Alaska, New York, and Texas). You'll need to check the regulations for whichever states you're looking to hunt in. Some areas for water buffalo in the NT are in tribal areas and require an entirely different set of requirement to the rest of the NT.

Howdy friends!

Can nonresidents get a firearm permit if they're not going to be hunting with an outfitter?

Last year at SCI I talked to an outfitter wanting 18K to hunt buffalo. While I'd love to do it, just not in that tax bracket (yet). What I could do is rent a land cruiser for a month and figure something out DIY style. Anyone have thoughts on my idea??

Cheers, Reed

I just got back from a month trip to OZ in October; I can tell you that NT will NOT be giving you a firearms permit without a Safari company letter….Period end of story.

The only way I could hunt with licensed OZ friends was with a borrowed gun and still lots of paperwork.

I just got back from a month trip to OZ in October; I can tell you that NT will NOT be giving you a firearms permit without a Safari company letter….Period end of story.

The only way I could hunt with licensed OZ friends was with a borrowed gun and still lots of paperwork.

Sounds like what my uncle said, it was impossible to get the permits for a gun for a diy
he did have a good time hooking up with a goverment hunter in New Zealand killing feral animals, goats, cats , stag , ect
but thats probably changed since he went years ago

Howdy friends!

Cheers, Reed

Not sure about other states but NSW is no go on non-commercial hunt with firearms.

„In addition to obtaining a Visitors game hunting licence, overseas visitors who want to use a firearm to hunt game animals in NSW must first obtain an Overseas Visitors Safari Tour/Hunting Permit from the NSW Police Force Firearms Registry.”

You can bow hunt on public land provided you obtain a visitor hunting licence (R-Licence) and are accompanied by a local R-Licence holder. This person does not need to be a guide and does not need to hold Guide Licence. The cost of visitor R-Licence is A$125 per year and includes $A20 million public liability issuance.

Visitor’s firearm permit only allows you to use your firearm for the particular hunt/safari. The permit would be valid for the period of your stay but it would only allow possession, not use of the firearm outside of the activity it was granted for.

Attachments

• Restricted Visitor's licence.pdf
    109.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Safari_Hunting_Participation_Permit_FACT_Sheet.pdf
    140.2 KB · Views: 31
I fear it will get harder. Western Australia are toughening their gunlaws on what we're already bthev toughest in the country

I fear it will get harder. Western Australia are toughening their gunlaws on what we're already bthev toughest in the country
Australia I can’t figure out why the government has put up so many roadblocks to eco tourism, hunting, fishing, overlanding in a 4x4
from landing in Melbourne and getting harassed by immigration or duty officers
to visiting friends on a cattle station.

Australia I can’t figure out why the government has put up so many roadblocks to eco tourism, hunting, fishing, overlanding in a 4x4
from landing in Melbourne and getting harassed by immigration or duty officers
to visiting friends on a cattle station.
I'm surprised you were given a hard time but my only overseas trip was South Africa.
Like everywhere there are some funny rules etc.
Western Australia is probably our largest single state with a sparesly spread population.
Their firearms rules were fairly tight and now they are putting limits on the number that individuals can own and they are legislating against Him power rifles.

The Police Minister says all of this is to keep the Police safe. They are generally pretty safe and you won't stop criminals getting guns anyway but you should not go into a job that carries firearms and regulates firearms if you are against firearms.

Sometimes called the island state they pretty much locked everything thing out when the COVID thing was around.

I can only imagine the issues you had entering the country were because it was Melbourne. They had some interesting times through COVID and their Premier has now moved but but should have been ousted long before he left.

An OZ journalist summed it up best…

“The problem with Australian government is not the number of our population that descends from prison convicts; the problem is a result of the number of our population that descends from prison guards.”

We are going with True Wild Outfitters in 2024. I can tell you it’s much less than 18k and found good reviews on here for them

An OZ journalist summed it up best…

“The problem with Australian government is not the number of our population that descends from prison convicts; the problem is a result of the number of our population that descends from prison guards.”
@deewayne2003
The Australian people are great it the politicians that are fuckwits. Starting with Jackboot Johnny Howard and his knee jerk reaction to the Port Arthur shooting. Banning semi autos because Joe public was outraged.
We do have the Shooters, fishers and farmers political part that keeps the barstards honest and promotes our sport and the SSAA to help them and open up more public land to hunters.
Bob

Howdy friends!

Cheers, Reed

About the only real public land hunting opportunity is for Sambar deer in Victoria's Alpine country. Its quite challenging mountain hunting.

You certainly can't just hire a car and drive around shooting Buffalo.

Disregard those inflated SCI Buffalo prices. In my opinion the best Buffalo outfitter in the country (a combination of a fantastic, huge concession, a great operator and the right permits) is Alex Jagers from Big Country Safaris Australia. And he's waay less than the above mentioned price.

The firearms side is another matter.

@deewayne2003
The Australian people are great it the politicians that are fuckwits. Starting with Jackboot Johnny Howard and his knee jerk reaction to the Port Arthur shooting. Banning semi autos because Joe public was outraged.
We do have the Shooters, fishers and farmers political part that keeps the barstards honest and promotes our sport and the SSAA to help them and open up more public land to hunters.
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen …. I believe that quotes speaks to the politicians being the prison guards.

I recon your best bet if you want to hunt a Buffalo is to befriend an NT resident that can offer to take you on a hunt. It would be even better if you could reciprocate to that hunter with an equal quality hunt in the US. Something like we can't hunt here like a White Tail buck or Javalina.
Thats my view..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeredithSt

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.