Cuz I gotta trip coming up in a coupla weeks

Flipper Dude

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
And so it came to be that I left Mother England for the Dark Continent in the spring of 1844, just following the 17th passing of the date of my birth. My worldly possessions I carried with me, as they consisted of my haversack and a change of clothing,50 pounds sterling that represented my full inheritance after the debtors collected their due, and an 8 bore rifle, powder and shot in sufficient quantities to last a month or so, based solely on my readings of such matters.
I had secured steerage and tucker on the HMS Bluxen, in exchange for 12 -14 hours of daily labor aboard the vessel. With fair seas and no unforeseen dalliances, we should arrive off of the Gold Coast in 5 to 6 weeks.
Could a man in good conscience ask for anything more in this world than to be on a good ship in fair seas, bound for a new and exciting land filled with promise and riches?

Beautiful writing. I'm ashamed to admit I don't know what book it comes from.
You are too kind. I was writing a grocery list on my iPhone notes this morning and came across this excerpt from a couple of years ago. It sorta encapsulates my anticipation for the trip I have coming up in a couple of weeks. The voyager in the story was headed off on a grand adventure. Mine does not compare to his, but an adventure it is, just the same.

Confession- I saw the excerpt and couldn’t remember where the hell I got it from. I did the google and the bing thingy. Nothing. Finally remembered that I wrote the damn thing myself, texting with a favorite nephew who enjoys swashbuckling and adventure tales. Sort of a spoof text. Hell getting old, I tell you.

You are too kind. I was writing a grocery list on my iPhone notes this morning and came across this excerpt from a couple of years ago. It sorta encapsulates my anticipation for the trip I have coming up in a couple of weeks. The voyager in the story was headed off on a grand adventure. Mine does not compare to his, but an adventure it is, just the same.

Confession- I saw the excerpt and couldn’t remember where the hell I got it from. I did the google and the bing thingy. Nothing. Finally remembered that I wrote the damn thing myself, texting with a favorite nephew who enjoys swashbuckling and adventure tales. Sort of a spoof text. Hell getting old, I tell you.
Well thank goodness! At first I thought it was from the journal of a kid hopping a ride on the Titanic! ;)

Very well done. It creates a spark that everyone needs.

That is beautifully written @Flipper Dude. From the first line to the last, it’s captivating. I hope you’ll try to finish that story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bafoyo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.