Corona - why does the world work in Sweden??

Foxi

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
and why is it so ?

So far, Sweden, in contrast to its Scandinavian neighbours and most of Europe and USA, has been much more liberal in its approach to restrictions in the fight against the Corona crisis. The measures are more relaxed.

Numbers of corona infected and dead in Sweden
Sweden has a population of about 10.2 million. According to Johns Hopkins University, as of April 22, 12:38 pm:

15,322 people sick with Covid-19

1,765 people in Sweden have died of coronavirus so far.

Can the Swedish AH members tell us, how things are going in their country ?
(I dont trust our newspapers)
Where are the television pictures of the Swedish churches and ice rinks stacked with coffins?
Where are the Swedish television pictures of the collapsing hospitals and intensive care units?
I dont see any of that

Our economic destruction is colossal, I hope for a vaccine soon.
(OK, I'm dreaming now.)
Keep on fellows.
Foxi

We have close friends from Sweden and I asked them after the report on TV
Here is what I was told.

I´m working from home, as all of my colleagues in Stockholm. This will be my, and ????? 6th week working from home.

Swedish authorities tell people age 70+(risk group) to stay at home, no shopping, not meeting friends and family.

We are well. We don't meet friends or family in large groups. I have been golfing with my son’s , no hugging.

Some are safely in their summer home on ?????. They don´t socialize with fiends.

Shops, restaurants are open, maximum of 50 people at a time, 1.5 meters apart.

No planes in the air, no travelling between cities. Ski areas are shut down, but as I said golf is open. I take a morning walk every day, a stop at the out door gym along trail also. Then I buy coffee at a café without entering the place, they sell through a window.

This will go on for another month. But there will be no travelling abroad this summer, so our Spain trip will not happen.

Sweden is devided by those who agree with the current situation and those that think the counter measures should be harder. More than 80% of the Swedish population stays in the lower half of Sweden, but it is still a pretty big country.
No there are no ice ring mortuaries and no there are not heaps of people dying.
We are taking social distancing pretty serious and we all sanitize all the time. Social distancing is not very hard here, Swedes tend to hold by themselves in general, just the young generation that don't see the dangers.
We are pretty much locked out of Europe anyway, Norway, Finland and Denmark have closed their borders so we are in fact isolated. Many Swedes are working from home and those who still have credit on their parental leave are using it and keeping young children at home, our daughter has been home for 8 weeks now.
In my opinion we will be hit hard by the Virus at some time in the near future, Government seems to think it is fine to let the weak die and establish some type of herd immunity. They have also moved to have enough ability to lock down the country in a matter of a day or two. Our health system is already over loaded due to other issues, this just made it far worse and there are now a few field hospitals set up too. Norway, Denmark and Finland have however already shown that their death rate is dropping and they have less deaths than we do.
Many restaurants and other small businesses have gone bankrupt, some hotels and conference centre's too.

Deaths as a percentage of population is pretty high, compared to many other countries.
Keep an eye on this because this model is the way of the future, we need to get to this.

News outlets from many other countries try to fault Sweden's approach, often hailed as there being no lockdown or restrictions.
Like mentioned above there are restrictions, just no total lockdown for those under 70 years old. It is showing in the deaths, a higher proportion of those who died are <70 compared to other countries. Thus infection amongst <70 must be much higher than >70, so they manage to isolate the >70's.
They hope to reach herd immunity quicker, and it seems they are on that trajectory but there isn't data yet on percentage of people with antibodies, while damaging the economy less, which they also seem to be able too currently. The number of infections and deaths have been increasing last week or so, and I wouldn't be surprised if the government at some point does decide to go into a full lockdown.
One other point though, if the government in Sweden tells people to do or to not do something, they obey, to a much higher degree than in many other countries.

Sweden is devided by those who agree with the current situation and those that think the counter measures should be harder. More than 80% of the Swedish population stays in the lower half of Sweden, but it is still a pretty big country.
No there are no ice ring mortuaries and no there are not heaps of people dying.
We are taking social distancing pretty serious and we all sanitize all the time. Social distancing is not very hard here, Swedes tend to hold by themselves in general, just the young generation that don't see the dangers.
We are pretty much locked out of Europe anyway, Norway, Finland and Denmark have closed their borders so we are in fact isolated. Many Swedes are working from home and those who still have credit on their parental leave are using it and keeping young children at home, our daughter has been home for 8 weeks now.
In my opinion we will be hit hard by the Virus at some time in the near future, Government seems to think it is fine to let the weak die and establish some type of herd immunity. They have also moved to have enough ability to lock down the country in a matter of a day or two. Our health system is already over loaded due to other issues, this just made it far worse and there are now a few field hospitals set up too. Norway, Denmark and Finland have however already shown that their death rate is dropping and they have less deaths than we do.
Many restaurants and other small businesses have gone bankrupt, some hotels and conference centre's too.

you have kindergardens, schools and universities open ?

If we were to wait for herd immunity in Germany every day 75,000 people would have to be infected for 18 months (minimum)-then everything escapes us

To soon to decide who´s strategy is right on this….Sweden has far more death than the other Scandinavian states but it remains to be seen what will happen when Norway, Denmark and Finland start opening up again..same apply to Germany..

And anyway...all will have to open sooner or later to prevent meltdown of the economy and massive unemployment..

No one knows what is the right way to go until afterwards.
Out authorities idea is that it is not possible to stop the virus.
Just try to protect the old and other risk groups.
We have more deaths than our neighbor countries now but what it will look like later is another thing.
I live in small town and we are not much effected by any restrictions.
YET!

One other point though, if the government in Sweden tells people to do or to not do something, they obey, to a much higher degree than in many other countries.

there are restrictions, just no total lockdown for those under 70 years old. ............

Sweden ..........
We are pretty much locked out of Europe anyway, Norway, Finland and Denmark have closed their borders so we are in fact isolated. ...........

Integral factors that are not reported when the media presents the policy differences.

If a second and third wave of this disease attacks humanity, we may see that Sweden's herd immunity was the correct approach. Anyway, the economic disaster that is occurring will likely lead to famine down the road, and the real death toll may result from that.......This disease will not be well understood demographically for another 10 years. .likewise, charity...a unique biproduct of successful capitalism, will dry up for several years. That also has a big death toll.......FWB

I am glad that Sweden has been swimming against the tide. I am not sure if what they are doing is right, but at least they have the courage to give everyone a First World example to learn from without completely destroying their economy.

If/when a second wave hits, Sweden may prove to be in much better shape than the rest of us due to "herd immunity".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevkala

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double