Common shooting distances

Steve Gibicsar

Reaction score
As I had mentioned in the introductory thread, I'm planning a hunt within the next couple of years and am starting my planning. I know that I'll be getting a plains game package with someone but the rest, I'm not sure of. I would like to use a handgun and/or an open sighted levergun but from many of the reports that I've read, the animals are taken beyond the 100 yards that I am comfortable with. I have several scoped rifles and would probably bring a .35whelen or 7mm rem mag if need be. I've learned that many states don't allow handguns but I don't know how many guns one is allowed to take into Africa. Is hunting plains game with a scoped revolver or open sighted rifle viable?

Steve, you can take two rifles into RSA (although they must be different calibers) you can also take a hunting handgun. I believe the more it looks like a hunting handgun the better read 44 Mag scoped revolver or a big TC single shot. My scoped 35 Whelen has been to Africa on both of my safaris. Most PH(s) will tell you that the majority of shots will be 100 yards or less. That may be true but figure on a couple of longer shots as well. My closest shot was at 60 yards on a Warthog, my furthest was 225 yds. on a Blesbok. Depending where and what you are hunting there could be a herd of animals involved with your PH wanting you to take a specific one. Africa has some small deer sized animals and even some fawn sized that are full grown, so a 30-30 could be used but I'd probably take my Mod 99 Savage in 308 if I were to ever take a Lever gun on Safari. "Edward" is an AH member that has taken more than his fair share (LOL) of African animals with a handgun. You might want to send him a PM to get the real skinny on hunting Africa with a handgun.

My longest shot in Africa has been 90 yards. My son's longest has been 357 yards. For me personally, 150-200 yds is the longest shot I will take on any African animal regardless of gun type or caliber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AveryOox04

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani