AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Safari Club International and SCI Foundation are preparing for the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) 18th Conference of the Parties (CoP) in May 2019.

The CoP is where decisions are made about international trade in wildlife. SCI and SCIF have attended since the first CoP was held in Switzerland in 1976.

This year’s meeting will be held in Colombo, Sri Lanka. A delegation from the SCI volunteer leadership CITES Committee will attend, along with SCI and SCIF legal and conservation staff.

African elephant and rhino issues continue to dominate the CITES agenda. SCI allies in Southern Africa are pushing for trade in ivory and rhino horn and the use of stockpiles for the benefit of conservation.

Not surprisingly, a proposal to list the giraffe on Appendix II was submitted by a coalition from West Africa and Kenya. SCI and SCI Foundation adamantly oppose that effort.

Other proposals of interest are related to markhor in Tajikistan and saiga antelope in Mongolia.

More broadly, SCI is supporting several key initiatives that examine the core purpose of the CITES Convention. Of critical importance is the engagement of rural communities in the CITES policy-making process and the recognition of the benefits that sustainable trade in hunting trophies has for wildlife conservation.

SCI and SCI Foundation’s role at CITES is a unique role of the two organizations. Both SCI and SCIF remain committed to promoting sustainable use in this international policy arena.

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shelli44Y

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.