Caribou hunting in Northern Quebec will be closed in 2018

vandoo

AH member
Reaction score
I am sad about this but hope it will come back eventually.

Québec City, December 21, 2016 –
Luc Blanchette, Québec's Minister of Forests, Wildlife and Parks, has announced that sport hunting of migratory caribou will be closed in Québec as from February 1, 2018, for an undetermined period, in order to foster the sustainability of the species.

Sport hunting of the George River herd was closed in 2012 due to the significant decline in numbers. Since then, the Leaf River herd has been the only one to sustain sport hunting and Aboriginal harvesting in Québec. According to an inventory carried out in the summer of 2016, Leaf River numbers have also continued to decline and the herd now comprises less than 199,000 animals.

"The situation of the Leaf River caribou herd is worrying," said Minister Blanchette. "Our Government therefore has the responsibility to apply management measures that will foster the sustainability of a species of considerable importance to Northern ecosystems and Aboriginal communities in Québec."

A Government inter-ministerial committee will also be set up to assess the main social and economic consequences of the declining migratory caribou population in Northern Québec, and propose mitigation measures. The committee will consult the partners likely to be affected by future decision, through task forces.

The Québec Government will work closely with the federal government and the government of Newfoundland-and-Labrador to promote the sustainability of caribou populations in Ungava. It will also continue to monitor the herds and will continue to work closely with the Caribou Ungava research group on its ongoing studies of migratory caribou.

The Cree, Inuit and Naskapi nations will also monitor their own harvests, in accordance with their undertakings. Their contribution is vital in gathering the data needed to ensure sound herd management in the coming years.

The Leaf River herd management plan is currently being prepared in collaboration with the Hunting, Fishing and Trapping Coordinating Committee, and the main wildlife management partners should be consulted during the process.

Hard to believe, there has always been ups and downs but we must be going into a whole new direction.

Pretty similar story right across caribou range it seems.

This is troubling. And, when we consider the declining moose in Ontario I am wondering what the heck is going on here!

Wolves. Plain and simple wolves. Now that Obama has halted the wolf cull in AK they will begin to suffer the same fate. Of course nothing to do with trophy hunting of old males!!!
Regards,
Philip

Sorry to hear this!

Not good news.

I'm guessing the price on a 2017 hunt might be going up. It's sad, as it will put several outfitters out of business after the 2017 season.

One has to wonder between wolves and the natives who have no game limits which hurts them more. I ve seen hundreds of dead salmon wasting away in the sun on the shoreline in Vancouver BC many years ago. When I asked my guide he said the natives throw out the nets and just take what they want, the other just sit there and rot.

I read an article about 30 years ago about thousands of caribou being killed because Hydro Quebec discharged too much water over a dam during the caribou migration. The river that the caribou had been crossing for thousands of years was running much higher and swifter than normal. The caribou were swept down river and over a waterfalls and killed.

I Googled it and found the article, it was in Sports Illustrated. The photos don't show up, but I still recall how bad it looked to see thousands of dead, floating caribou. The Canadian military came in with helicopters and hooked onto them and scattered them in the remote woods. The wolves ate very well for a while.

Does anyone else recall this incident or what the fall out was after that?

http://www.si.com/vault/1984/10/15/627645/the-torrent-of-death

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanelL98

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.