Buffalo hunting success rate?

I'm 2 for 2. However, here's a quick version of each one.

1st Zambezi Valley - Day 3, after having spooked bachelors on day 1 and a herd on day 2. After crossing tracks and for buffalo tracking a short half mile tracking, a bull presented itself at 60 yards broadside. I was on the sticks and we briefly checked him out and the PH said shoot. He only went 100 yards and was done. Upon arrival, he was a bit soft in the middle of his boss. We probably should have check him over further before making the call to shoot. Am I disappointed? Not at all. The experience was phenomenal and the taxidermist filled the boss in. My friends and family wouldn't know the difference and I'm happy.

2nd Niassa Province - After 10 days (1st 3 all plains game and the next 7 on buffalo) of getting on multiple dagga boys, only to have wind, elephants, etc. spook and watching their butts go over the next hill, 40 yards away through the brush, etc. we had decided on the last day to just go for a game drive so that my wife and I could see the river and maybe get a chance at a waterbuck. About 30 minutes into the drive a small group crossed the road with a couple bulls in the herd. We stopped. PH told me it was a good bull but probably similar to the one I already had at home. Ann said let's go for it. We hunted them for an hour and I got my second bull. A bit soft in the boss. Again the taxidermist did a wonderful job blending the fill. had we not seen this one, I would have gone home a happy hunter.

I may never get to Africa again although 2024/25 is in the plan. I would like to hunt buffalo again - maybe in the Caprivi. If I never go again I have fantastic memories I wouldn't change.

I’ve hunted buffalo in Moz, Zim, Bots, Zambia, and RSA (Klaserie). All of my hunts were free range and I would say that all but Klaserie and the Save were true wilderness. I have always had excellent hunting and the opportunity to take mature bulls. I always time my hunts for winter months when the leaves are down and the water more restricted.

Question to all participants:
I think we are on good track with this question, on this topic.

Which hunting areas (regardless of country) are with more clearings and better visibility?
And which areas are jess and bush, with less visibility?

Feel free for your replies! Thanks!

My four and my son's were taken in Moz, the Caprivi, and the Limpopo.

Of them, the most open area to hunt was the Zambezi Delta. I have done it twice in Coutada 14. Once with my son in a wet year and once by myself in a dry one. In both cases, it was a spot and stalk hunt.

In a wet year. you will be spotting birds across the marsh (cattle egrets) indicating a herd's location. In a dry year, you may initially spot your bull a mile away across dry hard pack. In both cases, adequate cover is the challenge. But we easily took our three bulls over the two hunts. All three were taken between 60 and 80 yards.

Next most open in my experience is the Caprivi. It is riverine with bordering marshes, but far more forested areas than the Delta. This too was a spot and stalk hunt. We waded along from island to island until spotting a big dagga boy near dusk. The shot was from one tiny island to the next - about eighty yards.

The Limpopo was a very large fenced property. On foot one could rarely see hundred yards. We were tracking a small herd when the wind shifted. The herd took off except for a old lone bull that came straight down our sent line. He wasn't charging. but he was moving in straight line for us at a steady fast walk with his head up. I hit him as he cleared brush at around 25 yards.

It also depends on what you are looking for.

I took my buffalo in a very large Private Game Reserve in KwaZulu/Natal, I believe it is the second largest property in that province, and one of the few in RSA where you may find the 7 dangerous.

From day one I could have shot a bull from the herd, but that is not what I was looking for. PH and trackers knew of three old bulls that kept to themselves, and we were targeting those.

It took us four days going up and down those hills, looking behind the trees, until we finally found them. I had to take a shot at about 80 meters, donwhill, we could not get any closer as there was a herd of red wildebeest around, and they were getting spooky.

I hit him in the neck with a 300 grs. Federal Premium TBBC in .375HH, and he was down right there.

I had wanted a buffalo since I was 15. I went to Zimbabwe when I was 56 on what I thought would be my only safari. To make sure I had enough time, I booked a 14 day hunt. I took mine on day four.
Most of this is redundant to what others have stated, but: Get in condition and prepare to walk. Practice shooting off sticks and offhand. Talk to the outfitter and references. Stack the odds of getting a shot in your favor. After that, it is up to you.
I remember hearing the buffalo and then the PH setting up the sticks. There were two bulls. The PH said “the one facing us”. I had the rifle on the sticks. I looked thru the scope. I remember seeing his white teeth. I settled the crosshairs where the neck met the body. I thought “You’ve waited your whole life for this opportunity. Don’t blow it.” I concentrated on the shot. He was down in 30 yds. Two death bellows.

@meigsbucks 30 yards and what one or two shots?! You didn't get your money's worth. ;-)

Mine in Zimbabwe was one of two old duggaboys. I hit him square in the chest with an old, ratty, clanky borrowed 375. Six thousand yards later, and seven shots later (most good, a few not) he was down. High fives all around. He'd already death bellowed and had been leaking like a sieve. I walk up and touched his eye. Oops. Not dead yet. Round number 9 finished him off. What a fun hunt. Most amazing was the trackers. In all that distance they never got confused between the two (the Duggas stayed together) and never lost the tracks.

Question to all participants:
I think we are on good track with this question, on this topic.

Which hunting areas (regardless of country) are with more clearings and better visibility?
And which areas are jess and bush, with less visibility?

Feel free for your replies! Thanks!
My first buffalo was from against Kruger in June. This area was extremely thick with mopani leaves. Later in year I know would have been much better visibility. I thought 25 yards would be a long shot in most circumstances. We ended up taking buffalo in one of the few open areas we encountered. From what I understand, the APNR reserves further south are much more open than what I saw.
When I was a kid, I unsuccessfully hunted buffalo in northern part of kafue in Zambia (I forgot to include this on my initial response because it wasn’t a buffalo hunt or buffalo area, we spent 2 days of a 10 day plains game hunt trying as an add on, no extra cost). This was very open woodland with nice grass where we encountered buffalo. 100-200 yards very possible here. I unfortunately only had a borrowed open sight rifle.
I haven’t hunted buffalo in Caprivi but the floodplains are obviously very open. I saw buffalo in tourism side of bwabwata park. There was very little ground cover, so very open (in October). I think this was due to the number of elephants. Across the river where I was hunting was a community area and much more brush and grass, but no buffalo and only seasonal elephants. Plains game shots there were 100-200 yards.
My most recent hunt was dande east in Zambezi valley in September. Nearly all leaves were down. The longest shot i took entire trip was 75 yards and buffalo was at 30, very thick brush. I chose this hunt over matetsi because I didn’t want possibly of a spot and stalk buffalo hunt.
Every concession even in same general area will be different, but this is what I saw.

So, on the forum we see rarely a negative hunting report. When bad things happen due to various reasons, hunters are reluctant to write about it. If written, sometimes it brings back an argument when outfitters reputations is questioned.
But not all hunts are 100% certain. We know that. Some animals are difficult and unpredictable.

I was wondering where the buffalo stands in this perspective?

So, as I am planning a buffalo hunt in the future, the question is, what is real buffalo hunt success rate? What to expect?
I know some hunters went for Buff and never got one. Others went multiple times, and got one each time.
pick the right hunter youll be gtg

If you thoroughly enjoyed the hunt, saw buffalo, trained your sights on ones never intended to be shot, but never did kill that big herd bull due to "traffic," (also experiencing different cultures, land, food, etc.) I'd say it was 100% success. On each hunt where buffalo were primary targets, success was 100% (and we did put in 100% effort!!) But, on another where buffalo were secondary, we'd see them (walk across a river, right out of the country) on every single outing. I didn't think standing along the river, in the dark, waiting for them to walk to us was a really good plan....lol And for those of you who've been there, you know precisely where i mean! That was closer to 0% success on buff, but I'd suspect the stats would be higher if they were our primary goal (and the overall success and enjoyment of that safari was 100%!) Always one to revise the plan in hunting (as necess to succeed,) I suggested to the PH that the next day we go on the Bots NP sightseeing tour, but with our guns! He said they'd frown upon that plan.? On the 1st buffalo hunt, I put my sights on two big daggaboys (one in the dark shade-couldn't see, the other was moving-uncomfy with the shot,) so it took a full 7 days to land a nice one. I lost 10 lbs in the >100 mi we walked. It was 100% success, but directly linked to the 100% effort we put in.
This!!!

Great post;)

So, on the forum we see rarely a negative hunting report. When bad things happen due to various reasons, hunters are reluctant to write about it. If written, sometimes it brings back an argument when outfitters reputations is questioned.
But not all hunts are 100% certain. We know that. Some animals are difficult and unpredictable.

So, as I am planning a buffalo hunt in the future, the question is, what is real buffalo hunt success rate? What to expect?
I know some hunters went for Buff and never got one. Others went multiple times, and got one each time.
I can understand why people (myself LOL) arent quick to post about unsuccessful hunts. Victory is so much more fun.

You can book a hunt with 100% success rate. You can also book a 'real hunt' where failure is possible and you need to pack a little bit of luck. Traveling half way around the world to fail isn't for everyone. Given the prices involved, I can understand why.

As far as shooting buffalo goes; I am 0-1 in Africa. This hunt wrapped up ten days ago so it's still a fresh wound.

Buffalo hunting at Wape, in Zimbabwe, is a real hunt. The Buffalo have the advantage. You need a minute of luck to identify your target, and then get a clear shot through the thick bush. One of those places where an elephant can be 20 yards from you, but you can't see him because it's that thick. We got so close to one old buffalo that I could smell him. Then he ran away before we ever saw his head/horns. We know he was old because of his grey butt, which I did see clearly. His tail was flipping around. He was eating grass and quite happy until he busted our approach.

The upside is the property has countless old dagga boys and most hunters end up with one. My friend got a grand old bull on day 5 with a massive boss and wide spread. He moved onto plains game the next day which had been our original plan. I chose to continue hunting buff at Wape but luck never shined on me. We just couldn't catch a brake.

This was no road hunt. 8-10 miles of hiking per day. More like a core workout than a hike however. Constant stepping over, ducking under the bush while lunging, squatting and twisting away from nasty thorns that like to grab you and hold on tight. The grass was still green meaning the buff didn't have to seek water every day. Finding fresh tracks was sometimes hard and tracking was difficult. Several times there were just too many buffalo.

I did see tons of Buffalo! Younger bulls wound up in my crosshairs multiple times. Nice young bulls too, the type many take as prized trophy's. Even on the second to last day, when frustration and doubt were unimaginably high, I passed on a soft boss despite knowing that I may have traveled half way around the world to fail.

Those dagga boys stayed a step ahead of us the whole trip. They are smarter than I had given them credit for. As my tracker said "they know the story".

Despite the lack of luck I had a great hunt and an amazing adventure. Saw every type of animal I could have hoped to see. We were hours from the nearest cellular signal with no wi-fi, no news, no tv, no communication with the outside world. I could have stayed there forever.

At the very last moment of the last day, god showed me mercy and presented a gorgeous Nyala. It still feels like divine intervention. That was the only animal I shot at and the only trophy I will bring home.

Now I can't imagine hunting Buffalo in an easier environment, after such a struggle it would feel like cheating. Also can't imagine booking again knowing failure is a real possibility and that my 'luck' may have run dry.

Sincerely
The Cursed White Hunter.

Last edited:
Traveling half way around the world to fail isn't for everyone. Given the prices involved, I can understand why.

I can understand why people (myself LOL) arent quick to post about unsuccessful hunts. Victory is so much more fun.

You can book a hunt with 100% success rate. You can also book a 'real hunt' where failure is possible and you need to pack a little bit of luck. Traveling half way around the world to fail isn't for everyone. Given the prices involved, I can understand why.

As far as shooting buffalo goes; I am 0-1 in Africa. This hunt wrapped up ten days ago so it's still a fresh wound.

Buffalo hunting at Wape, in Zimbabwe, is a real hunt. The Buffalo have the advantage. You need a minute of luck to identify your target, and then get a clear shot through the thick bush. One of those places where an elephant can be 20 yards from you, but you can't see him because it's that thick. We got so close to one old buffalo that I could smell him. Then he ran away before we ever saw his head/horns. We know he was old because of his grey butt, which I did see clearly. His tail was flipping around. He was eating grass and quite happy until he busted our approach.

The upside is the property has countless old dagga boys and most hunters end up with one. My friend got a grand old bull on day 5 with a massive boss and wide spread. He moved onto plains game the next day which had been our original plan. I chose to continue hunting buff at Wape but luck never shined on me. We just couldn't catch a brake.

This was no road hunt. 8-10 miles of hiking per day. More like a core workout than a hike however. Constant stepping over, ducking under the bush while lunging, squatting and twisting away from nasty thorns that like to grab you and hold on tight. The grass was still green meaning the buff didn't have to seek water every day. Finding fresh tracks was sometimes hard and tracking was difficult. Several times there were just too many buffalo.

I did see tons of Buffalo! Younger bulls wound up in my crosshairs multiple times. Nice young bulls too, the type many take as prized trophy's. Even on the second to last day, when frustration and doubt were unimaginably high, I passed on a soft boss despite knowing that I may have traveled half way around the world to fail.

Those dagga boys stayed a step ahead of us the whole trip. They are smarter than I had given them credit for. As my tracker said "they know the story".

Despite the lack of luck I had a great hunt and an amazing adventure. Saw every type of animal I could have hoped to see. We were hours from the nearest cellular signal with no wi-fi, no news, no tv, no communication with the outside world. I could have stayed there forever.

At the very last moment of the last day, god showed me mercy and presented a gorgeous Nyala. It still feels like divine intervention. That was the only animal I shot at and the only trophy I will bring home.

Now I can't imagine hunting Buffalo in an easier environment, after such a struggle it would feel like cheating. Also can't imagine booking again knowing failure is a real possibility and that my 'luck' may have run dry.

Sincerely
The Cursed White Hunter.
Your words should be published in one of hunting magazines. So more can read it, It's nice.

Sincerely
The Cursed White Hunter.
And this! :)

Congratulations on the great hunt! And congratulations on the Nyala. And especially thanks for the excellent post!

Reactions: RTG
@RTG - hunt long enough (or at all) and you realize that failure is always an option. The key is to stay positive, and it sounds like you did. Congratulations on your Nyala and good luck on your next Buffalo.

Sincerely
The Cursed White Hunter.
+1 (y)

Good post mark-hunter.
In my opinion I would guarantee the following. You get what you pay for.
This is true for both Ranch style as well as Wilderness hunts.
Good areas will constantly deliver good results on wilderness blocks there is a reason for price differences in areas whether that be quality or availability safaris are priced according to it.
I do not wish to offend anyone but also need to be honest with regards to your question.

In the same breath on ranch style hunts you will find exceptionally priced buffalo but once again In my experience it is directly linked to the hunting experience and quality of safari whether that be size of land, enclosure, size of buff etc. While you are almost certainly assured of getting a bull the factors above influence it greatly.

I hope this helps and good luck with the planning process.

My very best always.

Thank you all for comments.
Looking from my present perspective, probably the best overview of successful or not successful buf hunts are from PHs, as clients will have generally less experience, and are reluctant to report negative feed backs. On the other hand, oufitter will avoid "negative advertising" as well, for marketing reasons.

So far, my understanding is following:

1) 90% or more buffalo hunts are successful (maybe even 95%)?
2) prime buffalo area and reputable outfitter or PH do not necessarily mean successful hunt for buffalo?
3) wilderness area or ranch area, last 200 meters of approach and stalking the buffalo is the same?

I am 1 for 2 and my buddy is 2 for 2. The third member of our group followed four different dagga boys this last trip and didnt't get one. His MO is creeping through thick riverine bush, not easy.
On payment I think the outfitter deserves to get something even if you don't bag your quarry, especially if you shoot and miss or pass up an opportunity. It isn't his fault, and he put on all the camp and time etc despite you missing or passing up, the expense is still there.

Yes, successful hunt, means opportunity for shot. I agree. But there is also day rate, and trophy fee.

Thank you all for comments.
Looking from my present perspective, probably the best overview of successful or not successful buf hunts are from PHs, as clients will have generally less experience, and are reluctant to report negative feed backs. On the other hand, oufitter will avoid "negative advertising" as well, for marketing reasons.

So far, my understanding is following:

1) 90% or more buffalo hunts are successful (maybe even 95%)?
Once again this is area dependent. Several seasons on great areas will have 100% success.
2) prime buffalo area and reputable outfitter or PH do not necessarily mean successful hunt for buffalo?
I would not agree with this as prime areas tend to deliver. One factor to keep in mind would be what you want from your buffalo safari. In short let’s talk wilderness areas. Some areas or operators hunt from herds, in my experience truly great areas/locations don’t. The reasoning is, why would you hunt from herds if the buffalo numbers are of such a nature that you can only go after Dugga boys? For one you are getting a older bull, and secondly impact on breeding population is a minimum.
3) wilderness area or ranch area, last 200 meters of approach and stalking the buffalo is the same?
A bit of a generalization keep in mind are you looking for a buffalo safari or do you want a buffalo? While I have no issue with ranch style hunts there is a lot to be said in terms of what a true wilderness area delivers in terms of experience, encountering Lions on safari Elephant the experience from beginning to end.

I am probably only confusing the situation but looking at providing a balanced opinion :)

My best always.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfredoYua

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.