Buffalo charges

jimmywallstreet

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I recently read about the likes of Bobby Fontana, and other pHs, who experienced mishaps and tragic endings in their pursuit of buffalo. Does anyone have experience with follow up shots on a charging Buffalo? where is the best shot placement for a head-on shot? Anyone with experience willing to share their story? Any personal stories of such interactions?

I recently read about the likes of Bobby Fontana, and other pHs, who experienced mishaps and tragic endings in their pursuit of buffalo. Does anyone have experience with follow up shots on a charging Buffalo? where is the best shot placement for a head-on shot? Anyone with experience willing to share their story? Any personal stories of such interactions?
One of the most renowned PHs of all time, Mark Sullivan did make a number of videos on this very subject. For sale here:

Here is an actual hunt with a client. Buffalo charge is at 4:00 mark.

From experience a successful brain shot is 100% effective. The difficulty is where are you going to have to aim for to hit the brain. Is the nose high or low is two big factors. A buffalo will almost always drop its head just before he reaches you, but before that the buff will almost always have its nose held at a much higher elevation. When this happens is when you want the best bullet that money can buy.

I recently read where a PH advocated softs as a solid would ricochet off of the boss, I am not of that school, but to each his own.

@Scanos had a hell of a time with a charge a couple of years ago:

I'll be back in Niassa next week for another double Buffalo hunt with Kwalata. Hopefully this trip will be slightly less exciting. :D

I remember reading that report. @Scanos has some big cojones, he is one tough hombre.

There are a couple of great buffalo charge videos on Quagga Safaris youtube channel.

At one occasion, when Craig Boddington was answering the questions on some You Tube potcast, I asked him, after about 100 buffalos that he had shot, how many charges did he have?
Answer was ZERO.

This could be luck maybe 1%, but in all reality I deeply believe this is result of good first shot to proper place, 99%.
Make the first shot count.

At one occasion, when Craig Boddington was answering the questions on some You Tube potcast, I asked him, after about 100 buffalos that he had shot, how many charges did he have?
Answer was ZERO.

This could be luck maybe 1%, but in all reality I deeply believe this is result of good first shot to proper place, 99%.
Make the first shot count.
Craig says that buffalo are more likely to behave like elk when the encounter humans and high-tail it for the next county. HOWEVER, there are exceptions, even with ones that aren't wounded. Perhaps you inadvertently put yourself between a cow and her calf. Perhaps you get too close (whatever that may be) to one that is having a bad day. Maybe it stepped in a warthog and is banged up from that. Perhaps lost a fight with another bull, maybe even getting gored in the process. Charges can happen, but they aren't common.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greylin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.