Botswana Lions & Tanzania Fees - Update from the African Wildlife Consultative Forum

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Botswana Lions & Tanzania Fees - Update from the African Wildlife Consultative Forum

The SCI sponsored African Wildlife Consultative Forum finished up on Friday, November 16, in Pemba, Mozambique. This meeting brought together government officials, outfitters and others in the hunting industry from all over southern Africa.

Botswana’s zero lion quota remains in effect at this time, however there was positive discussion between government officials and hunting industry representatives. The government said that it had to reduce the overall harvest of lions because of increased killing of lions that are causing agricultural damage.

Tanzania’s fee increases also remain in effect, although SCI was informed that talks between industry and government are going on at high levels. The Tanzania PH organizations represented at the AWCF emphasized that although they would like support for their position that the increases are unconstitutional, the solutions to the situation will only be found internally and direct foreign pressure will likely be received unfavorably.

On other issues, demand for elephant ivory is increasing in internal markets within China, the most significant user of ivory. Poaching and illegal shipments appear to be occurring in response to the demand.

Increase in illegal take of rhino horn is also occurring and alleged sport hunting has been implicated in the illegal trade. SCI will review the situation.

Tanzania, Mozambique, Malawi, Zambia and Namibia requested assistance from international hunting organizations for developing national lion strategies. This issue may be critical for sustainable use of lions since Kenya proposed listing lions at CITES 14 and may do so again at CITES 15.

Source: Safari Club international

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dianne1092

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.