Best moments of an Africa safari

rigbymauser

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I have often thought what was the best of the hunts I have been on in Africa. I can single out a few hunts on particular game but what comes to me as best moments was really the days I didn’t hunt, but just walked around with a rifle or camera to see what oppochunities that might arise.
One occasion was sitting by a donga under some bushes that protected my against the noon sun. I was not hunting anymore as the kalahari sun was too intense and it was very hot (+40 c).
I would usually have walked back to camp to rest, but decided to stay out all day.
I was sitting absolutly still and out of no where a whole flock of warthogs walked past me. I could touched one of them. I was complete motionless. There were 6 or 7 pigs just in front of me like 6-12 yards. They were just scrupping and rooting and was to my surprise noisy. A little further down 2 other warthogs came out too. My .333 was placed behind me and I could in no way make a single move without the first batch of pigs would detect my presence. Actually they smelled me ran of quickly…however the 2 pigs some 50 paces away didn’t take notice. My hunt was on. I was still expose, but with ultraslow movements I maneged to get the rifle and get on my belly. I bellied up to about 20 yards and took a headshot on the first one near. I was all fired up of excitement.
I have in somewhat likewise situations experienced when just sitting out and not really expecting anything and suddenly some antilopes walked closely by.

On my first safari, the PH and I went for a walk just to pass the time on the last day. We happened upon some buffalo and we decided to “put on a stalk.” We got within 20 yards of two 40”+ bulls just grazing. They didn’t notice until we started talking. I’ll never get that lucky again.
8941EAFF-012E-43C4-A4FF-D6397A4BD8BA.jpeg

Both bulls grazing, one behind the other.

First off, sample size of one: I have been to Africa once.

Second, it was ALL good. Literally all of it. There wasn't so much as 60 seconds of my trip that wasn't just freaking awesome.

That said, as I reflect on my first trip, the parts that felt special to me were:

My cow buffalo - the stalk getting to within 40 yards and the waiting game before the shot. That was simply incredible.

The finishing shot on my wildebeest. I had several layers of apprehension before it was down: the blown first shot, first day hunting, first game species hunted, trying to close the deal in super thick cover, getting charged.

My big kudu. It was a bit of a tricky shot, with the angle and brush and such. I thought it was a solid hit from the minute I shot it. My PH thought probably... but wasn't completely sure. We couldn't see it because of the slope and brush. Turns out it didn't go but maybe 30 yards.

Really the most treasured moments of my first hunt were other things: seeing things I knew would delight my daughters, like birds and butterflies... I GREATLY enjoyed the time I got to spend actually talking with my PH - getting to know him or picking his brain - whether while driving somewhere or sitting on a ridge glassing. And I sooo much enjoyed my time at the lodge getting to know @everett and his brother. The people parts of my safari were absolutely the best.

Make no mistake: hunting and killing the animals I did created memories I will never forget. But the aesthetics of my hunt were far and away the most enjoyable parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoellenNis

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!