Best All-Round Rifle?

What Is A Better All-Round Rifle? (In Your Opinion)

• Total voters
The best all around rifle is the one you have with the round it's chambered in. It is confidence that does 90% of your killing......

Though I must say that I like to take all my shots aiming west.

It kinda makes me giggle a bit when I cut loose with that 600 Overkill and for a split second the earth stops rotating.

:A Banana:

Bullet placement is most important factor when hunting with any weapon. Between the two calibers I am a great fan of the .270 for whitetails and large (200+ lbs) wild pigs. The .270 will definitely give you more options on bullet placement on larger animals than the .243 (fine caliber for deer). That being said I have been to Africa twice with a 30.06 taking animals from eland, zebra, etc. on down.

The 270 was my first rifle. Shot a lot of deer and coyotes plus a couple of antelope. But now I think for the hand loader the 30-06 would be better. In a good modern bolt action with a 24 in. barrel it will do about anything a 300 mag will do. You pay a price in recoil and expensive ammo for that few extra yards that I myself can't really take advantage of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carlo74371

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.