Be Calm

These days there are so many reasons to feel anger, disappointment and frustration. I am not even going to list them, the object of this thread is not to get your blood up even more, but to give you some relief, as I have found. The biblical part of it is easy to read, but hard to get to grips with. It says ‘be still and know that I am God’.
Now to the practical side: the beautiful creation is I believe what He is talking about, and there is no better place than to find peace interacting with it with as little humanity involved as possible. For me that means hunting, preparing for a hunt, daydreaming about it, finally doing it, and then the memories. I find peace and joy in opening AH and reading wisdom and shared memories from you all. Finding anything about double rifles, especially with a few pictures thrown in calms me way down.
What is it about our sport that brings out the best of life for you?
Being out in Nature, away from it all!!! 'Not looking forward to visiting some jobsite in the metro NYC area this week (the Customers are fine, rather it's the environment they find themselves en$laven.) One is down near a wetland National Wildlife Refuge, so that's always a sight to see! However, that said I simply cannot wait to get back up to the farm for a long weekend of finishing some work on my Son's rifles, cutting some fields, performing stand (roof) maintenance, removing waterlogged fallen trees, cleaning woodstove chimneys, catching up with distant neighbors/lifelong friends who share the same love of the great outdoors, closing the pool for the season and having a drink and a cigar overlooking all of God's creatures from both the sunrise and sunset views (none of those vices at sunrise!!! lol Coffee or tea is just fine!) Most of the work is therapeutic because of the views at all times, but I'll definitely look like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins after the chimney sweepings...Just the anticipation of the upcoming fall hunting seasons (2 weeks away-even sooner for some) is bringing an inner smile that is carried nearly everywhere I go in the interim...

There are some roadway signs in America that read: Positivity: Pass It On! So, I believe I speak for all members here when I say, Thank You for your words of Positivity, Kevin!!!x10e23 It may just be inspired by the beautiful nature that you reside in.

The promise of another day in Penns Woods.
IMG_1241.jpeg

lol the 30 min edit period expired...limitations are a just another form of negativity. lol

IMG_20221030_100349~2.jpg
100408 023.jpg
1919379_153793365207_5860038_n.jpg
IMG_20221015_160234~2.jpg
IMG_20221009_164056~2.jpg
IMG_20221130_162801~2.jpg
IMG_20221209_165646~2.jpg
IMG_20230624_203810~2.jpg
IMG_20230514_203752~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no time for religion but ….

With out it, our world appears to have becoming an aggressive, shallow place full of fear and unkindness

I dislike even leaving the farm

I fear for where we are headed

J
Thats why you fear where we are headed......I fear not but God.....

Prayer being a continuous State of Mind here .. Lord "Strengthen my Faith & Give the peace that Passes all Understanding.". This forum has been a healthy Platform, in Weariness & Well Being.

Beautiful Works of Art here & Some Great People along the way. ✞
Photo's are great Kevin, I attest .. and my Mom especially loves your Cat.

'Pass by this Marie Antoinette overlook on the way to/fro the farm (it overlooks where Wm. Penn provided political asylum to the french/french royalty during the French Revolution. It's actually called Azilum, PA. But this cat, it almost always messes up my photos (as it's been fed by tourists and shows up on cue)...SMH! photos momentarily from my phone...

These days there are so many reasons to feel anger, disappointment and frustration. I am not even going to list them, the object of this thread is not to get your blood up even more, but to give you some relief, as I have found. The biblical part of it is easy to read, but hard to get to grips with. It says ‘be still and know that I am God’.
Now to the practical side: the beautiful creation is I believe what He is talking about, and there is no better place than to find peace interacting with it with as little humanity involved as possible. For me that means hunting, preparing for a hunt, daydreaming about it, finally doing it, and then the memories. I find peace and joy in opening AH and reading wisdom and shared memories from you all. Finding anything about double rifles, especially with a few pictures thrown in calms me way down.
Kevin, very well said. For me, without question it has been the many hunts with my Son, a few with my daughter, and the “only 8-9” with my Father. I have photos of them all - except none ever taken with my Dad and years too late to ever recreate those... but they live on in my very vivid memory. The hunt, the days, weeks, or months of planning, the travel too & from —- All part of the joy. Every hunt I’ve ever been on was time well spent and those with family at the TOP. I can’t remember much about my 40 year work career but recall something from almost every day spent afield.

@Kevin Peacocke
Wise words my friend.
I learnt after my 3rd heart attack not to give a shit about much and live every day as if it's your last.
Love a lot, laugh a little and be happy with what you have. No matter how bad the day gets be grateful you are alive.
I learnt to laugh at myself and my stupidity that way it's pretty hard to insult me. With Teflon shoulders the shit just slides off.
My happy places are with my family, hunting or being with friends. Just getting bush. I don't have to hunt sharing a camp-fire and drinks with mates is great. The hunting is an added bonus.
Let the simple things in life bring you peace, learn how to handle the crap in a positive way.
Bob

I had the rifle made for me, as I mentioned, in 2020. I'm pretty particular about who the gun vs the firm or name that builds the gun. I met with the actioner(?) barrel maker and the other trades that would be working on it. I wanted simple rose and scroll / color case hardening, 13 #s. I had the gun fit as I do my shotguns. I want to be able to shoot a moving target with my eyes on the target vs the front sight. I know this may be too much information but the balance of the gun and printability is key. I still shoot box birds and Olympic Trap, so I guess I come from the fit side vs the decorative side.
I hope this makes sense.
@festuscat
Seem to have the best of both. Fit and decorative. Very nice.
Bob

Brother, this is my absolute favorite verse. Psalm 46:10. So simple, succinct, yet so powerful.

I find myself in the same camp as you, Mr. Peacocke. I don't consider myself a worrier by nature, but perhaps "overly informed and thus prepared". Hence the reason I have iron sights zeroed in on all of my scoped rifles, and the glass is all in QD rings. As such, sometimes it it hard to turn off the constant bombardment from the world around us. Things that, for all intents and purposes, are out of our control.

Enter hunting. For me, it is all-encompassing. Meaning I value the memories of past hunts as much as those still to come. I enjoy the dreaming, planning, and preparation for those upcoming ones as much as the hunt itself. I look at the horns, heads, and photos on the walls and am transported back to a moment in time. I take the feathers of a grouse, duck, or pheasant, and spin them into the hackle or wing of a fly to temp some trout with. The tail of a deer becomes a bucktail jig I catch walleye on.

When I am in the field, I find myself fixating more on God the Creator more than anything. The fact that He knows how many blades of grass are in a field, how many leaves there are on a particular tree...how many leaves it had the year before, and will have the next year...

It really blows my mind. It makes me realize on one hand how insignificant we are. And on the very other hand, how much more He cares for us than the birds of the field.

I can be on the highest peak, or in the deepest swamp, and yet I'm nowhere closer to God than when I'm in the wilds.

'Pass by this Marie Antoinette overlook on the way to/fro the farm (it overlooks where Wm. Penn provided political asylum to the french/french royalty during the French Revolution. It's actually called Azilum, PA. But this cat, it almost always messes up my photos (as it's been fed by tourists and shows up on cue)...SMH! photos momentarily from my phone...
1695132584606.png

IMG_20221031_132205.jpg
IMG_20221031_132136.jpg
IMG_20221031_132122.jpg
IMG_20221031_132220.jpg
1695132584606.png

Great property! Enjoy your slice of Heaven here on earth.....or something like that.
a work-in-progress that's progressed quite a bit over the last few decades (purchasing back old ancestral farm properties sold off when i was a kid!) have a lease-purchase agreement on 3 more and might've lost 1 to some outsiders apparently getting their hooks into an elder widow. the one even lost her job (law firm accountant) for conflict of interest (knowing her financials) and now uses this pre-dimentia woman as her cash cow. :( what gov't. agency could assist on that front? (Prior to that I was going to buy it, and the widow give the $ to her church! I used to cut her grass and the other neighbor did her snow...but we've been given the brush now...) All great neighbors (lol all 3 big landowners and lifelong friends.) The widow has a big lake that the original non-fam purchaser made out of old farm fields I used to hunt (w/ a 30-30 and a milk crate) as a kid. Smart guy (builder) he made a golf course out of the soil removed to create the 40' deep lake (and a Mint on selling the Ms cubic yards of clean fill!)

290352742_10158822571205208_5382420937991523078_n.jpg

Happiness is fleeting and is often times due to a circumstance in our life, but joy is eternal. It's joy that sticks with us through stressful days, because joy is found in our always-present Lord. As the psalmist says, "You will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." (Psalm 16:11b) Instead of looking for a short-lived high in things, I'm challenged to find lasting joy in God Almighty, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaColl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!