Anyone else butcher?

Her first buck and a fine one. She is already talking about trying archery next year. I’m glad I created a new hunter that grew up in the city.
IMG_1989.jpeg

Nice, happy wife happy life.
I'm not drawn to archery. I've used a couple of bows but not hunting

I appreciate the skill required

I like guns, reloading and tworking with the 2 and hunting gives them a purpose. If I take up archery or another interest wife might throw it at me. My last meat hunt saw me buying a mincer, sausage filler and more. Not to mention the knives for butchering, I have a few.

I like guns, reloading and tworking with the 2 and hunting gives them a purpose. If I take up archery or another interest wife might throw it at me. My last meat hunt saw me buying a mincer, sausage filler and more. Not to mention the knives for butchering, I have a few.
We are lucky that we have the knives, grinder, and vacuum sealer.

@CBH Australia
Don't go down the stick chucker road mate they is dangerous to the forearm.
Bob

Nothing goes to waste!
IMG-20231214-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20231214-WA0005.jpg

Her first buck and a fine one. She is already talking about trying archery next year. I’m glad I created a new hunter that grew up in the city.View attachment 574449
Excellent! So nice to see more women that hunt! Congratulations! :giggle: (y)

As a 11 year old Dad was agricultural foreman on a huge farm, not much time for our own "hobby farm. Each day of no school day my chore list always had, kill, clean and ready for mums look, x number of, rabbits, chickens, ducks, geese, or turkeys. We had them all, "outside" chores were mine. Boy did I bitch about that. After cook apprentice with butchery, both really helped in life. Now if animal is shot close to home, weather is cool enough for hanging in camp, they are cut, wrapped and in freezer at home. Only if hunt dictates do I use butcher shop services. As every thing else has gone what was .25 per pound is now $1.25 per pound. There's a certain satisfaction all year when getting game from the freezer and seeing my writing on paper.

The elk this year burned out my cheap Cabela's grinder, too far away to get new so amazon delivered another cheapy 2 days later. Worked this year, next? Miss working and having access to all the best equipment. Nothing compares to the 100 quart Hobart grinder.

MB

If I had a dollar for every fish I've cleaned or cut I've taken off game, I could seriously buy a female elephant hunt!

It’s really a pretty simple process. We start with the curing brine.

Curing brine is 1 part country sugar cure to 4 parts distilled water mix the water and cure till all is dissolved (don’t heat) and place in the fridge to keep cool. For this batch we did 1 lb of cure to 4 lbs of water

Take your thawed meat and make sure all fat and silver skin is removed then cut into pieces about 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick. Roughly equal thickness is the important part.

We have a small kitchen vacuum tumbler that will tumble 8 lbs of meat per batch so we measure out .15 lbs of the cure brine per lb of meat. The brine and meat go into the tumbler, pull vacuum and let it roll for 20 min.

Once tumbled we place in a large container and all goes in the fridge overnight or about 12 hours. This gets us to the next morning.

Take meat from fridge and lay out on a table pepper heavy with a course black pepper and mix by hand to ensure even coverage on all pieces.

String up and individually tie loops to each piece to hang using butcher twine. This is the most intensive part of the whole process. Hang in smoke house insuring no pieces are touching

Cold smoke for about an hour. Can go longer if you like a heavy smoke. Typically we use hickory or post oak

Remove smoke and slowly bring the internal temp to 160. This usually takes 8 hours you don’t want to cook it so we start out low at 120 and slowly bump the temp up throughout the day until about 190 in the smoker. When the Internal temps reaches 160 kill the heat and let it cool. If temps allow we will let it hang for a day or two in the smoke house before packaging to finish drying.

Our deer hunting group has been doing it for decades. Some of the "elders" that are gone now, bought industrial processing equipment that is still in use today. We can usually process all of our deer (usually 20-25) in one Sunday morning. We typically grill up tenderloins & some of the guys have deer burger both fresh off the bone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saleh Al Nahdi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.