A-Square Factory Ammo

jpr9954

AH elite
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
A local auction has some .416 Taylor A-Square factory ammo up for bid. There is one box of 400 gr solids and two of 400 gr soft-points.

I don’t have a .416 Taylor nor will I be getting one. However, I thought if I could get it at a low enough price, I could offer it to someone on the AH forum at my cost. That or make a trade for ammo I could use.

is there a demand for this ammo? If so, what would you consider a good or fair price?

Thanks

I have a .416 Taylor. I would be interested in the soft points. I wouldn't pay more than $100/box. I'm sure since it's "A-Square" ammo, some dimwit will bid far more but I wouldn't.

Here are a couple of pictures of the soft point boxes. Given that nobody locally might know what it is, I'm hoping to get it for $25 or less.

214322219_750x473_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF.jpg

214322900_750x473_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF.jpg

@colorado is right. Their 300Gr Dead Tough bullets were excellent Cape buffalo medicine. Their Lion Load bullets were almost as bad as the beastly Winchester Silver Tip.

How were their solids?
Their solids were unbanded and thus generated great pressure upon rifle barrels. This consequently accelerated the wear on the rifling.

Don Heath writes that barrel life of .458 Winchester Magnum and .30-06 Springfield rifles that were being used by the employees of the National Parks… Was under 500 rounds when used with A Square monolithic solids.

See below.
IMG_1590.png

I’ve actually seen a National Parks issue Fabrique Nationale Mauser in .458 Winchester Magnum (the good, old pre ‘62 kind with the non rotating Mauser style claw extractor), which had it’s barrel rifling almost completely worn smooth. I’m told that this rifle was used during the elephant culls in Zimbabwe during the 1980s, with 465 Gr A Square monolithic solid factory loads.

Back in those days, Colonel Art Alphin (owner of A Square) was supplying the elephant cullers with .458 Winchester Magnum ammunition for the culling programs. In 1991, they ordered their last consignment from him.

Last edited:
Their solids were unbanded and thus generated great pressure upon rifle barrels. This consequently accelerated the wear on the rifling.

Don Heath writes that barrel life of .458 Winchester Magnum and .30-06 Springfield rifles that were being used by the employees of the National Parks… Was under 500 rounds when used with A Square monolithic solids.

See below.
View attachment 541253

I’ve actually seen a National Parks issue Fabrique Nationale Mauser in .458 Winchester Magnum (the good, old pre ‘62 kind with the non rotating Mauser style claw extractor), which had it’s barrel rifling almost completely worn smooth. I’m told that this rifle was used during the elephant culls in Zimbabwe during the 1980s, with 465 Gr A Square monolithic solid factory loads.

Back in those days, Colonel Art Alphin (owner of A Square) was supplying the elephant cullers with .458 Winchester Magnum ammunition for the culling programs. In 1991, they ordered their last consignment from him.
Good thing I have not bid on the solids!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanelL98

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.