.338 Federal

My dad stole my 338 Fed Sako 85 in a McMillan stock from me for a trip to RSA. He loaded up 160TSX at what he swears is 3000fps ( not so sure about that) and shot busbuck, nyala, kudu and eland with it. All one shot kills, all over 150m and under 250m.

I love the little rifle with 225gr Sierra GameKings, shot a good number of pigs and bears with it.

The 338 federal is an amazing little cartridge. I use the 160 TTX, 180 Woodleigh, 200 tipped trophy bonded. They all get the job done and does it fast. The 200 tipped trophy bonded are my favorite do to mushroom of bullet. Speed test them and you will be shocked how well they perform against the magnums. I leave the 338 win mag in the cabinet and use the federal for everything except brown bear.

The 338 federal is an amazing little cartridge. I use the 160 TTX, 180 Woodleigh, 200 tipped trophy bonded. They all get the job done and does it fast. The 200 tipped trophy bonded are my favorite do to mushroom of bullet. Speed test them and you will be shocked how well they perform against the magnums. I leave the 338 win mag in the cabinet and use the federal for everything except brown bear.
@Mountaineer
As you have discovered you don't need a big fire spitting, bitch slapping recoil magnum like @CoElkHunter to get the job done for 90% of your hunting. Both the little 338 and 358 will do with less fuss and bother than the big fire breathers.
Enjoy life in the real world of pure rifle loonies where at times less is more.
Bob

I just Wikipedied the .338 Federal. Necked up .308. Very intriguing cartridge. But, I need to be "bitched slapped" every once in awhile, so I'll stick with my .338WM. LOL!

I just Wikipedied the .338 Federal. Necked up .308. Very intriguing cartridge. But, I need to be "bitched slapped" every once in awhile, so I'll stick with my .338WM. LOL!
@CoElkHunter
If'n y'all need bithch slapping that bad I'm sure you darling wife would accommodate you. If you need more power than her hand you could give he a cast iron skillet the bitch slap you up the side of your heed, that would let you know you is alive.
Then you could get rid of that fire breathing magnum and get a nice 35 WHELEN mate.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zhongxindui800

Latest profile posts

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}