270 Win/ What to do?

OK, you just can't tease us like that without any pictures. :ROFLMAO:

She stays a 270 with a few upgrades like new trigger, bedding and free floating the barrel. I’m sure it will be a shooter and look forward to giving a test run and hunting with it later this year. Appreciate the input from y’all.

If you decide to re-barrel down the road, try a 5R 1:8 Twist .270 Winchester, which will allow you to access the newer, heavier bullets in that caliber.

Red

I was able to recently add a LH model 70, chambered in 270 win recently to my Winchester battery. Now I am debating on leaving it a 270 win or re-barreling it to another caliber. I already have or will soon have the following LH Model 70s

416 Rem Mag
375 H&H
300 Win Mag
30-06 Springfield

So I am debating on whether to keep the 270 a 270 or re-barrel to either a 25-06 Rem or a 280 Ackley Improved or something else??

This would have me covered for pretty much anything and everything I would ever hunt, anywhere in the world I believe. I am curious what everybody else thinks about what direction I should go with this project. I have gotten plenty of good advice from those much more knowledgeable than me on AH when it comes to rifles so I thought I would get input from y’all. Thanks.
Leave it as a 270 win

Keep it a 270. That is a great mid-sized game caliber for NA deer, antelope, even elk (but I can think of others perhaps better for elk) or Africa PG. They are typically accurate and fairly flat shooting. I have had a old Mauser custom sporter for a long time that was chambered in 270 win many years ago. I have hunted deer with it for more than 30y with great results. Mine shoots best with the 150g bullets but I have never tried any heavier.

I should have added. Try 140 and 150 grain bullets, mine shoots best with 140 and 150 grain bullets.

Depends on what problem you are trying to solve. If you just enjoy having different guns to play with, choose whatever floats your boat. If you have a specific use case, that should determine the cartridge or at least narrow it down.

I was able to recently add a LH model 70, chambered in 270 win recently to my Winchester battery. Now I am debating on leaving it a 270 win or re-barreling it to another caliber. I already have or will soon have the following LH Model 70s

416 Rem Mag
375 H&H
300 Win Mag
30-06 Springfield

So I am debating on whether to keep the 270 a 270 or re-barrel to either a 25-06 Rem or a 280 Ackley Improved or something else??

This would have me covered for pretty much anything and everything I would ever hunt, anywhere in the world I believe. I am curious what everybody else thinks about what direction I should go with this project. I have gotten plenty of good advice from those much more knowledgeable than me on AH when it comes to rifles so I thought I would get input from y’all. Thanks.

270 is just great. The 30/06 and 270 are fairly comparable. If you really want to have a different caliber I’d suggest the 25/06 using 117 grain bullets.

I vote leave it as a 270W. It's a fantastic calibre, more capable than you might think until you start using it seriously. Both my son and I have our own rifles. I don't think either of us ever want to sell or change ours.
Nothing wrong with any of the optional cals you mention but if you want one of those, just buy another rifle. Hang onto the .270W and avoid the post sale regrets of letting it go, especially if it's a shooter.

416 Rem Mag
375 H&H
300 Win Mag
30-06 Springfield

@Fatback
My vote goes to the very much unloved 25-06.
A 100gn TTSX at 3,400 fps make a dandy long range round or you can go a 110gn accubonds or eldx for real long range smack em down deer cartridge or for bigger game a nice 129gn A frame. It will do everything the 270 will.
I do like the 280AI BUT it starting to become so common so I will stick my neck out and say the good ol 25-06.
Bob

While I will always push for the 280 AI, if your rifle shoots straight I do not see changing it to be worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabe

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg